Sustainable Living for Dorm Dwellers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
You may think that as a college student there isn’t much you can do to work towards sustainability. However, there are many steps you can take to live a life with a lesser carbon footprint.  

The first step can be simple… recycling! If your campus does not offer recycling, you can be the advocate. This is a simple task when it is available. It may require some research, to decide what can and cannot be recycled. For instance, things with food on them (like the leftover Chinese takeout container with lo mein remnants) cannot be recycled. The rules aren’t too hard, though, and can be easily adopted. It’s also something the whole campus can get involved in. It could even turn into a competition!

Another way to live more sustainable on campus is to buy products from fair trade and environmentally friendly sources. Anything from clothes to makeup can be bought in this fashion. I personally like the Body Shop for personal care needs. Their products are not tested on animals and are made organically—they also support fair trade. Patagonia is a Benefit Corporation that could support all of your clothing needs. This style of consumerism also supports the supply for corporations that are not only after profit, but sustainable development.  

Being a sustainable student doesn’t stop there, it is also possible to get recycled school supplies. Paper and batteries are both examples of items that can be bought recycled and still work just as great.  

These are all great examples of living a more sustainable life during your college days.  Consider these and the other many great ideas there are to support the environment, the economy, and mankind.  

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.