Singles vs. Couples Challenge: Ice Skating

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

On February 6, 2013, we introduced you to the Singles vs. Couples Challenge from DateMySchool and GymPact. Each day until February 14th, we’ll be featuring a new Pittsburgh winter workout idea.

Ice Skating

Ask HC Chatham team members how they love to spend a winter day, and you’ll hear a lot about ice skating. It’s inexpensive, close to campus, and easy to do in a group or on your own.

Where to Go:

Schenley Skating Rink

Overlook Drive

The Rink at PPG Place

1 PPG Pl

Pittsburgh, PA 15222

For Singles:

Meet other college students and get a discount on admission!

Schenley Skating Rink’s College ID Sessions let coeds in for $3 each*; stop by Tuesdays from 9:30pm to 11:30pm, Wednesdays 1:30pm to 3:30pm, and Sundays 7pm to 9pm. 

The Rink at PPG Place offers $3 admission with your student ID each Wednesday from 6pm to 10pm.

Make It A Date: Scope out potential skating partners on DateMySchool, then team up with friends to ask the cuties you’re crushing on to a group hang-out. After an evening full of impromptu skating lessons and silly races, cuddling up with cups of cocoa comes naturally.

For Couples:

Pittsburgh rinks are going big for Valentine’s Day. At Schenley’s “Valentines on Ice”, expect swoon-worthy songs to skate to, salsa dance lessons, and even massages! If you’re over 18, stop by between 7pm and 10pm on Valentine’s Day to join the fun.

PPG Place is throwing an over-the-top Valentine’s Day party, too! The “Lover’s Skate” will be peppered with prizes, giveaways, and great music from 96.1 KISS-FM. Be one of the first 96 ladies on ice between 7pm and 9pm to get a beautiful rose from Muetzel Florist and Gift Shoppe.

Looking for something a little more low-key? They’re also hosting a Sweetheart Skate on Saturday, February 9 from 7pm to 9pm. Stoney Richards and Y108 will set the mood for a lovely evening filled with  prizes (be one of the first 108 women on the rink to get a flower!).

Step Up Your Date: Nothing beats a romantic dinner on Valentine’s Day. If you’re headed to Schenley, try an Oakland hot-spot. Choosing PPG Place? Market Square is packed with cozy restaurants to fit all price ranges, and it’s only steps away!

*Remember to bring money for skate rentals; they’re not often included in admission.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.