lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rock Your Relationship: Dating Tips from datemyschool and HC Chatham

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Here’s the deal:

There are over 900 undergrads at Chatham. 

Over 6,000 at CMU. 

Over 18,000 at Pitt. 

That’s just counting our neighbors. Add the tens of thousands of students at all of Pittsburgh’s universities, and the social scene starts to feel a little daunting.

Think of datemyschool as your ultimate wingwoman: an online dating site exclusively for college students and recent alumni. Whether you’re looking for a fun fling, an engagement ring or anything in between, datemyschool safely and easily connects you to over 150,000 cuties.

Ready to go? We’ve teamed up with datemyschool to make you a love expert. Here, three HC Chatham writers share their top tips for rocking any relationship.

Alex Heathcock, Fashion Writer

1. Be your complete self. A guy/girl worth dating will find all of the supposedly “weird” and “quirky” qualities about you endearing. It’s cliché, but if he/she really cares, he’ll/she’ll accept you for who you are completely.

2. Sometimes, opposites do attract. Just because somebody isn’t your “type” doesn’t mean that you should not consider them. Sometimes it’s the people who are the most different from us that we learn and grow from the most, and have the most interesting/best relationships with.

3. Don’t look for love. Let it come to you. When you usually obsessively search for it, that’s when things go wrong. When you’re ready for a relationship, the right guy will pop up at the right time. I promise.

Spontaneity rules; so does safety. With extensive privacy settings, a stellar user verification system and the ability to control exactly who sees your profile, datemyschool opens you to new possibilities without throwing caution to the wind.

Want to date close to home? Go to the next page for Kayla Mento’s advice.

[pagebreak]

Kayla Mento, Visual Artist

Story: I’ve been dating my boyfriend Mat for a year now. We knew each other in high school all four years, but we didn’t start dating each other until the summer after senior year ended. We never thought we would end up together but we did, and now we go to neighboring colleges. Here are tips for dating someone going to school in the same city.

1. If you’re dating someone straight out of high school like I am, the relationship can be a bit different. Both of you aren’t used to being so swamped by homework. Once you get your schedules, try to match them up after you’ve registered; you can determine the days you guys can see each other!

2. If both of you are busy during the week, try to find an hour or so in both of your schedules to get lunch together in Oakland or any area nearby.

3. If you can’t spend any time during the week together, it’s probably because of homework. Respect each other’s college priorities; you’ll see each other over the weekend!

4. During finals or midterms you may find that both of you are swamped with responsibilities. Try to study together by quizzing each other on the subject you need to know more about! Try to make games out of it; you both will end up actually having a really good time together because it tends to get silly.

5. For whatever reason, you both may not enjoy each other’s friends. If you can, try to hang out with both groups together so everyone can bond and connect with one another; it will make it easier for you to hang out with each other.

Want to connect close to campus? Datemyschool lets you set your own specifications for search results. From selecting certain universities and geographic areas to choosing personal preferences, you can be sure that the bachelors and bachelorettes you discover are as close to your dream date as possible. Bonus? Datemyschool is wildly popular at CMU, Pitt and Penn State, so you’ve got plenty of options in the Pittsburgh area!

Go to the next page for Catherine Giles’ tips!

[pagebreak]

Catherine Giles, Sustainability Writer

What’s most important to Catherine in a relationship?

1. Honesty. I cannot stress how important it is to be honest with your partner. If you cannot be honest with him/her, how can you expect them to do the same? I’m not saying be BRUTALLY honest about every teensy little thing; a little white lie now and then is perfectly fine. But you need to be honest about you and be honest about what you believe in. Take sex, for example. If you’re not comfortable having sex yet, tell your partner. If he/she cannot accept your wishes, well, they’re not the right person for you.

2. Don’t wait to tell your partner that something upset you. If you’re upset, tell him/her how you feel. Waiting a few days to discuss something that bothered me has given way to many an argument with my boyfriend. Usually, I go by the 24-hour rule: if you don’t go to somebody about what ever is bothering you within 24 hours, you need to just let it go. Go to the person with your feelings ASAP, because otherwise, your feelings will fester and it will create more problems.

3. Don’t sweat the small stuff. As a girl, I know it’s hard for me to not get mad when my boyfriend doesn’t text me the right thing, doesn’t tell me I’m pretty, doesn’t agree with what I’m saying, etc. In the grand scheme of things, is this issue really going to matter? If the answer is no, then you need to let it go.

4. Never plan everything out on a date. When you’ve planned out the “perfect” date, and lo and behold something goes wrong, the whole night gets ruined. But if you let the date progress, you’ll have a lot more fun being spontaneous and random with your partner.

5. Go the extra mile. If you really like someone, show him/her how. Give her your coat when she’s cold. Give him some space when he needs bro-time with his friends. But always always always always always be supportive of your partner.

In the end, a good college relationship is nothing short of magical. Register on datemyschool to find your own fairytale!

Source:

For enrollment statistics: Collegeboard.com

This is a partner post. All opinions are 100% ours.

I currently attend Chatham University as a junior. I am majoring in Visual arts w/ a studio arts concentration and a minor in psychology in hopes of becoming an art therapist! I like talking, laughing, music, art (obviously), helping people, inspiring people, friends, being creative and DIY projects!
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.