Pittsburgh’s The Mattress Factory: Not Your Average Mattress Factory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Danaë by James Turrell

If you aren’t an art fanatic or a Pittsburgh youth the name “The Mattress Factory” probably makes you think of a pillow top cloud–or the socially awkward act of trying out a mattress in public.

To these afore mentioned people, it often brings to mind an incredible installation museum. The museum is famous for hosting a mix of permanent and temporary installations. As I am a current Pittsburgh youth and art fanatic, the Mattress Factory has become one of my favorite first date locations. Recently, I visited the museum for just that purpose. If you aren’t an art fanatic or a Pittsburgh youth the name “The Mattress Factory” probably makes you think of a pillow top cloud–or the socially awkward act of trying out a mattress in public.

Amongst the permanent collection that he was wooed by are Yayoi Kusama’s “Repetitive Vision Room” and “Infinity Dots Mirrored Room.” The mirrored room pair are both fun and really exciting. The mass of mirrors creates an infinity effect that confuses and dazzles most people, no matter how many times they have visited.

Another personal staple of the Mattress factory is James Turrell’s “Danaë.” This dark room’s bright, ambiguously colored, box is located at the end of the room and creates a fun and discussion-worthy effect (that I will not spoil).

This week, a lot of the main building is under construction. Therefore, the only exhibits open are the permanent ones. Luckily for my date, the installation museum has two satellite buildings on the same street.

The first one we visited was a house that has been repurposed entirely as a full temporary installation piece. Currently, Dennis Maher’s “A Second Home” captivates anyone who enters. The floor to ceiling, three floor, exhibit is filled with purposeful and confusing detail in every square inch. I would encourage any visitor to really take their time observing the space, and try to understand the mysterious story Maher is trying to tell.

IRIS_SIRI by Kevin Clancy

In the next satellite building Kevin Clancy’s work “IRIS_SIRI” on the third floor is engaging and also discussion worthy with his commentary on our money and social media driven culture. Whether visiting on a date, with family, or riding solo, the Mattress Factory is a wonderful gem in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania’s North Side.

Have you ever been to the Mattress Factory? What’s your favorite installation? Comment below!

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.