Media & Social Change Conference: An Interview with Paige Owens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

HC Chatham Style Writer Paige Owens presented at the Media & Social Change Conference in early April. 

She spoke about “Cyber-Bullying” with Seneca Harah, Casey Deer, Moriah Rakas and Jessica Garland. 

Then, she presented her individual project, “Using Social Media to Question Discrimination.”
When we heard about the amazing work she did, we asked for an interview; read her answers below.

What were each of your presentations about? What drew you to the topics?

My first presentation was about bullying and how the Internet and technology can help to prevent bullying and spread awareness. My second presentation was on the discrimination against tattoos. The first topic was a group project so we picked a topic that can have an effect on anyone in the world. My second topic I did individually and I chose the topic because I have tattoos and have grown up in a family where tattoos are beautiful, artistic, and not a bad thing. I’ve seen my mum get discriminated against for the smallest, unoffensive tattoo on her hand by companies who wouldn’t hire her if she didn’t cover it up.

Did you do your presentations as part of a class? If so, which class? What do you enjoy about it?

Both of my projects were for a class, both taught by Katie Cruger. My bullying project was done in Media and Society and my tattoo project was done in Gender and Contemporary Issues. I enjoyed getting a chance to explore different, relevant issues within society.

What was the coolest thing you learned when researching for each of your projects?

The coolest thing I learned in my bullying project was how big the It Gets Better Project became just through a YouTube video. The coolest thing I learned about tattoos is that they used to represent royalty and even Henry David Thoreau didn’t think they were a disgusting thing like society has made them out to be.

What do you take away from the experience of presenting at the conference?

I think the biggest thing I took away from the experience was that I gained a lot of confidence in my research skills and in my presenting skills. I never thought I would have to get up in front of an audience and explain why society is wrong about something or why discrimination is so terrible.

Interested in Owens’ work? She founded the Be Yourself Campaign on Facebook. Find out how to join here.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.