The Life of a Sustainability Student at Chatham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

You may have heard about the fast growing major for college students across the U.S.: Sustainability.  When most people hear this, they think “tree huggers” or “hippies”, and while many people in the major may like to classify with those identities, sustainability is so much more than that.  It is the study of the environment, along with economics and social justice, to ensure the safety and prosperity of future generations. 

So how is sustainability studied uniquely at Chatham University?  With a brand new, net-zero campus called Eden Hall. Eden Hall is fully equipped with solar panels, geothermal, and plenty of acres for farming. There is a lodge for getting delicious, homemade meals and quiet studying, an amphitheater for live concerts and events, two field lab classrooms (including aquaculture stations), a sustainable sewage system for reclaimed water, a lovely apple orchard, bee hives for honey and pollinators, beautiful dorm rooms, rain gardens, several greenhouses (each with unique characteristics), and not to mention plenty of opportunities for research.  Everything at Eden Hall has a purpose, and this all comes from a campus that produces more energy than it uses. Plugging in computers or charging phones is completely guilt free, because all of the electricity used is renewable power. 

Being able to study at this campus is an amazing opportunity. It is well worth the 45-minute commute from the main campus. Students here get hands on knowledge of the field and are encouraged to explore all aspects of sustainability. They also receive tools to share their knowledge with others. Many events at Eden Hall are open to the public and receive high attendance. 

It really is the perfect place to go when serenity is needed. It’s quiet, you’re surrounded by nature, and the vibes are good. Why more universities haven’t started doing this, I have no idea. It is definitely a goldmine for people wanting to help change the world.  

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.