Kick Butt Songs for the New Semester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Need some songs to get the new semester rolling? We’ve got them right here!

“You’re Only Human (Second Wind)” by Billy Joel

No doubt we are all exhausted from what has been an incredibly crazy Fall term! So what could be a better song for our second semester? The iconic rock ‘n’ roll singer Billy Joel offers us some words of encouragement as we gear up for the last round of the year!

“Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” by Elton John

Inevitably, we will end up pulling all-nighters, finishing the last pages of an English novel, doing research for a term paper or putting the final touches on a science report. If you need an extra blast of adrenaline, this is definitely a tune to turn up as the night goes on (with headphones past eight p.m., of course!).

“Bad” by Michael Jackson

This song simply says it all, and there is no one more qualified to assert his badness than the hardworking King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Even at home, he wrote on his own mirror, “Train, perfection, March, April, Full out May” and continues to be an inspiration to fans everywhere.

“Raise Your Glass” by Darren Criss

Blaine ‘Warbler’ Anderson is the perfect geek. Preppy, smart, loving and loyal, he still never fails to knock everyone off their feet with his show-stopping pop tunes and undeniably awesome attitude. What better way to celebrate your own geekhood than with this song, in which it’s okay – and even ten times better – to be “too school for cool”?

“9 to 5” by Dolly Parton

… For those times when it seems that your teachers just don’t understand. What do you mean we’ve got another quiz?! I’ve got a presentation that day! No worries. Dolly Parton knows exactly where you’re coming from. Just remember what Maya Angelou said: “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” So turn those papers in on time, take a break, and enjoy the semester!

Bonus Song:
“Back to Hogwarts” by Darren Criss

Isn’t this how we all feel by the end of break at our parents’ house?

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.