How I Got Through My Very First Week of Budgeting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

I decided last week that I was only going to spend on $100 this month, meaning I’d have $25 for each week. I tracked each of my purchases and tried to stay under the $25 mark so I could donate what was left over to a worthy nonprofit.

And… I failed. As someone who had never budgeted before, I found it was incredibly difficult to control my urges to spend on things I had no need for. Here’s what I bought, and why.

Chinese Take-Out

A few friends came over on Sunday night and we decided to each pitch in $6.00 for a massive amount of Chinese food to eat on the trampoline/dining room table in my room. It was a good time, and I told myself I would just avoid take-out and other fast food for the rest of the week.

Ice Cream

The next day, after being stood up on a date for the first time, I went to Cold Stone Creamery to meet some friends. In this moment of emotional distress, I spent $6.53 on chocolate ice cream in a waffle-cone cup. This is one of my biggest regrets to this day.

Movie Rental

The night after that, I decided I very much wanted to wrap myself in many blankets, make a cup of tea, and watch a movie in my room. Nothing on Netflix seemed engaging, so I ended up spending $2.99 to rent the movie The Hours, which was stunning, great, and left me shocked but empowered as a female writer, but it was bought with money I really did not need to spend.

Fuku Tea

Left with $9.48, I did not spend anything after Tuesday until Saturday. Figuring I was doing well, I bought a small cup of bubble tea at my favorite spot in Oakland – Fuku tea.

Chipotle

After buying the tea, a friend and I ended up walking upwards of 5 miles around Oakland, visiting museums, the park, and the library since the weather was surprisingly nice. I had resigned myself to donating the left-over $5.79 to my chosen non-profit, but then I realized I would make it back to campus too late for dinner, and that I was very hungry from walking so much. On impulse, I bought a bowl from Chipotle, which was $6.95. So I was left $1.16 in the red, and sad, but happy I had food nonetheless.

(seen and Snapped at Maryland and 5th Avenue)

Now, I’m starting this week with $23.84, and am excited to (hopefully) do better, stay focused and centered, and have a substantial amount to donate!

That girl wrapped in a blanket, carrying a mug of tea, headed to the library.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.