Hannah Gross

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
Junior Hannah Gross is a real life hero. Working as the president of Chatham’s chapter of the American Investigative Society of Cold Cases, she is literally solving real crimes at this moment! Since she’s such an inspiring member of the Chatham community, we decided to give her the first profile of the semester!

Her Campus Chatham: What are you studying right now at Chatham? 
Hannah Gross: I am currently studying biology and criminology. 

What organizations are you involved with at Chatham? 
On campus, I am involved with the Pre-Med Club as its communications coordinator and the American Investigative Society of Cold Cases Chatham Chapter as president. 

What inspired you to bring the American Investigative Society of Cold Cases to Chatham? 
Almost an entire year ago now, I went to a conference at the Cyril Wecht Institute of Duquesne that was focused on Cold Cases. While at the conference, I met Detective Kenneth Mains and learned that he had started the American Investigative Society of Cold Cases (AISOCC). I was immediately interested in the work of that his group did. Members of AISOCC are from the medical, law and investigations fields and to have so many people with different backgrounds working on a single goal was something I knew I had to be apart of. I decided to become a student member as soon as I could. It was not too long after that when I began to discuss with Dr. Sarteschi (a criminology department professor) about bringing a student group to branch from this institution to Chatham. 

What all do you do as a member of the organization? 
As a member of this organization you are given access to cases that have never been solved. Members have the opportunity to speak with professional investigators who may have worked on (or still be working on) a case and learn extensively about the details of the cold case through files and notes. Working with other students to collaborate on thoughts, ideas, and questions about the case is also a large part of the membership. 

What would be your dream job? 
Medical Examiner by day, Broadway actress by night. I’m a Gemini so there will always be some duality in my life! 

What are some goals you have for post-grad? 
The plan right now for post-grad is to pursue medical school. For me a major long term goal would be to become a medical examiner at the county level or even work for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. There is so much you can do with medicine but I still would like to tie it to the criminology sphere as much as I could. 

How has Chatham changed your life? 
One word: opportunity. The opportunities to succeed and expand here I do not think are present anywhere else. I have made connections that I would have never dreamed of making. I have been able to be involved with research, clubs, and now an actual investigation. If I had never taken the leap towards these opportunities, my life would not have been changed as much as it has. 

What do you love most about Chatham? 
Oh my goodness…it would have to be the friends I have made while I have been here. We have become so close over the semesters and have gone through so many of the same struggles together. I do not know where I would be without their support. 

All photos courtesy of Hannah Gross.

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.