This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

As the weather gets cooler (hopefully), and fall begins to roll around, I find myself switching my reading taste from soft and fluffy summer reads to some mysteries and villain stories.

1. The Secret History

It’s been awhile since I’ve read this favorite, but I remember a portion of it being during the fall, and the whole atmosphere is chilling. It can’t even be called a murder mystery because they tell you in the prologue who killed who, but it’s still SO GOOD. Plus, you’ll look like an intellectual reading it no matter what cover you buy. It’s one of those.

1. Bone Gap

I read this book recently, over the summer, and I honestly wish I would have waited to read it in the fall. It has such a “dying crops” vibe, which as my English majors know, is a big Autumn Mood. It’s about two brothers who have a friend go missing, and the after effects on their family. There’s a lot of magic realism, which I personally love, but it definitely won’t be for everyone. I also e-mailed the author, and she answered, and she told me to watch out for the mythology references next time I read it (hint).

1. The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly

I think that anyone who read the synopsis of this book would have to pick it up. It’s about a girl who used to be in a cult and who is now in jail…oh, and she doesn’t have hands. Not to get fake deep, but this book changed the way I look at the world, and it’s freaking terrifying. It brings in themes of racism, and it’s just a harrowing yet beautiful story. It’s definitely underrated.

If anything, these books would look great for an Instagram post. Their colors are very fall-esque. I would suggest reading them though if you get the chance.

I'm Megan, I'm a Scorpio who loves to read and spend too much money on books I don't need.