Exit Interview: Julie Victain, Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
We’re celebrating the HC Chatham Class of 2015 with Exit Interviews!

Julie Victain is radiant. We interviewed her first as a co-founder of the Stay Positive Campaign, a student-created movement to spread joy on campus. When Julie joined the HC Chatham team, we discovered that her commitment to optimism radiates into every element of her life. Whether she was writing an article or contributing advice to incoming first years, she always did it with enthusiasm. Her personality made her an incredible RA and a perfect candidate for the Disney College Program, where she spent a full academic year making magic. Her joyful energy is a gift to everyone.

Why did you choose to join the Her Campus Chatham team?

Her Campus was a website that was helpful when choosing a college. They gave me articles on what to look for and helped me decide on Chatham. I wanted my voice to be heard to those students who were overwhelmed and just as confused as I was.

As the undergraduate college goes coed, what are your hopes for the future of HC Chatham?

I hope that HC Chatham can embrace the changes with grace like we have since the start. Including the male student body in articles and including their voice will create a new vibe to the website and make the articles more interesting for alumni and students alike.

What did you like most about your time at Chatham? 

I loved meeting women from all over the world. I have never felt so empowered and strong as a woman. Everyone on campus was welcoming and friendly which is something I hope to take everywhere with me from now on. 

What surprised you? 

I was surprised by the friendly as well as outgoing attitudes of Chatham women. I never once felt excluded or left out of an event or party that students were attending.

What advice you have for the Class of 2019?

Embrace your time. Stay up late and go to that event you don’t think will be fun. Be a part of everything. Talk to everyone. Be outgoing. Just have fun!

What do you love most about Chatham women?

Time and time again I met successful Chatham alumni. I love that students and alumni share a mutual respect and hopefulness for each other. We will always want the best for each other and we will always be there for each other. Chatham women are truly a sisterhood that you become a part of the moment you step onto campus.

By the time of your 50th Reunion, where do you hope you’ll be in life?

I honestly never know how to answer these. In 50 years, I hope to be happy with life. I hope to have my student loans paid off… which currently seems impossible. Truthfully, I hope that in 50 years I can show up to my Reunion and pick up right where I left off with my friends. I know that some of the bonds are unbreakable, and I hope to continue those.

Is there anything else you’d like to say to your Chatham family?

Thank you for all of the support and trust. I would especially like to call out everyone who supported me during my internship at Disney World and during some of the tough times. Chatham and HC truly gave me a family that will be cherished forever and never be forgotten.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.