Entertainment Spotlight: Chatham’s JKM Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Can’t get off campus to the theater because of that upcoming quiz, lab report or even midterm? That doesn’t mean you can’t take a couple hours to watch a great movie! Here are some of the best films available right here on campus at the JKM Library.

Brokeback Mountain

My all-time favorite movie is also one of the greatest dramas of the 21st century, as well as the winner of three Academy Awards. Watch as Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar spend the summer working as sheep herders and grapple with one of nature’s greatest forces – love.

Donnie Darko

Starring Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback, Prisoners) as a tormented teenager in the 1980s, this psychological thriller also introduces you to Frank: a mysterious rabbit who foretells the very end of the world.

Iron Man

One of the Avengers franchise’s most successful installments, billionaire playboy Tony Stark is captured by terrorists and – during his escape – builds one of his greatest inventions. Yes, you’ve probably seen it. But why not watch it again?

Legally Blonde

Sorority sweetheart Elle Woods is heartbroken after her breakup with boyfriend Warner. The only way to get him back? Law school. This uplifting, hilarious comedy is great for a night in with the girls.

Lord of the Rings

Return to Middle Earth and journey with Bilbo, Sam, Aragorn and the others as they seek to destroy the One Ring and set the kingdom to rights against the powers of darkness.

Seven

A malicious killer obsessed with the Seven Deadly Sins is hunted down by detectives played by Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. This 1995 thriller is a must-see classic by acclaimed director David Fincher (Zodiac, Fight Club).

The Wedding Singer

One of the most-beloved comedies of all-time, Adam Sandler stars as a down-on-his-luck, you guessed it, wedding singer who falls head over heels for a beautiful waitress. Filled with great laughs and an even greater soundtrack, it’s definitely one to rent.

Jurassic Park

The DVD may not be in 3D, but this ’90s adventure film – in which paleontologists and two young kids try to escape a horde of hungry dinos after a test ride of a new theme park attraction – demands another watch.

Casablanca

Play it again… and indeed we have since this film’s premiere in 1942. The movie chronicles the love story of Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund as they are torn apart by the struggles of World War II. This film essential is regarded not only as one of the best romances of all time, but one of the best movies, as well.

Back to the Future

This three-disc set follows Marty McFly and Doc to 1950s suburbia, the far future (yes – the 2000s was ‘the future’ back then), and the Wild West. Interestingly enough? The second movie seemed to predict Skype. Before The Michael J. Fox Show premieres this fall, why not re-watch his classic series?

Batman Begins

The movie that started it all. Watch as a broken Bruce Wayne rises up to take back Wayne Enterprises and defeat the evil Ra’s al Ghul. To check out these DVDs and more, visit the movies section on the first floor of the Jennie King Mellon Library.

Cover Photo: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Facebook page

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.