Efficiently Raising Hell: A Student’s Guide to Having Your Voice Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

So you’ve finally had it. Your college/university has provided the straw to break the camel’s back. Maybe they’ve raised tuition one too many times. Or maybe you just want your dining hall to start finally have some lactose-free coffee creamer. No matter your level of anger, boldness, or sense of what the students really want, if you need to see change, you have to do it right. Raise hell whenever you have the chance, but do it efficiently. 

Before you even think about protesting on the main campus for everyone to see, consider a couple of things.

First: Is what’s bugging you simply something personal? Meaning, do you want hot dogs every day because you love hot dogs? Or do you want an all beef option when the dining hall does have hot dogs because you and others don’t eat pork? The latter is something to fight for. The former isn’t. When a student brings an issue to professional staff members, it sets the tone for the campus population. Do the students know what a serious problem is or are they just whiners? 

Second: Is there a greater reason for a certain way something is done beyond what you see? Maybe you think every student should be able to purchase at least three bottles of soda with every meal. Why not? Students pay to eat at this university, and they should get their money’s worth. Give the people what they want! But have you done the math of every student in your class alone buying three bottles of sodas a day, three times a day, every single day? Try to evaluate the perspectives of as many stakeholders as possible.  

If you have considered these things and still want to continue, read on, my fellow student. You finally have at least somewhat of a foundation for your case. Here are some to-dos:

1. Try to find a solution first. 
Some things can make authority figures take you seriously, like bringing up an issue accompanied by a somewhat feasible solution. Ask around and see what can be done. Do you want your library to have a better system for checking out resources? Is there a cheap or free system that’s easy to use and install that your librarian has wanted to use anyway? Or is there a slight adjustment that needs to be made like limiting textbook checkouts to two hours at a time so multiple people can use the book without waiting for too long? 
In reality, you still have classes and exams and not that much time to Nancy Drew your way across campus. But even a plan that needs some work is better than handing a complaint over to a staff member and telling them to understand it, come up with a solution, and implement it on their own. This is not the time to wash your hands of a topic.

2. Find who can fix that problem. 
Which department, office, center, organization, etc. is in charge of handling these things? Are there open forums or town hall style meetings on campus where students can voice their opinions? Are you able to directly talk to the people who handle this issue, or do you have to go through a staff member? As amazing as it feels to vent to all of your friends, this isn’t going to get you anywhere in the short or long run. 

3. Persevere, persevere, persevere. 
You may be ignored for a couple of weeks so follow up. And then follow up again. And when you feel like you can’t follow up anymore but your concern still hasn’t been addressed, follow up one more time. It might get exhausting or tedious or just straight up frustrating, but don’t give up. 

So now you’re here. You don’t know exactly what you’re doing, but it’s fine. No one really does. I’m already proud of you for getting this far. I just want to leave you with some reminders. There is power in numbers. If your concern isn’t just that you love hot dogs and want them all the time, the chances are that you’re not the only one who feels the way you do about whatever it is. Talk to other students to see if you can gain support and even others who will join you in meeting with administration. 

Don’t be afraid to ask. It might be nerve-wracking, but important things usually are. The answer is always no if you don’t. And sometimes when you do ask, the answer is still no. As much as it sucks, sometimes things just come down to lack of money or resources or other things you can’t change. Even worse, sometimes things just come down to a simple no without explanation or reason. In these times maintain a level head and a sense of professionalism. This will take you farther than losing your head in front of the professional staff. 

And lastly, your voice matters. Often people will make you feel like you’re too young, too dumb, too much of a minority, too whiney, and anything else that will make you sit down and take what you’re given. 

Your voice does matter. Raise hell if you feel like it’s not being heard.

Teri is in the Class of '18 at Chatham University. She is a Communications-Journalism major, Editor-in-Chief of The Chatham Post, and president of the Omicron Delta Kappa honor society. Her passions are writing, leadership, and encouraging people in any way she can.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.