Crime Prevention Class – Identity Theft

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Identity. It’s who we are. But what if it gets in the wrong hands? Crooks can create the illusion that they are you and wreak havoc on your finances. Their crime will leave your credit history and reputation in pieces.

How does it happen? To put it simply, it’s from stealing. Items like laptops and phones provide plenty of info for identity theft. Even your mail can contain enough information for someone to impersonate you. “Women living alone should not use prefixes ‘Ms.,’ ‘Miss,’ or ‘Mrs.’ on their doors or mailboxes,” says Officer Novak from Chatham Public Safety. “Instead, use the first initial or last name.”

To combat this, you need to secure and safeguard your information. Here are some quick tips:

• Never give out your pin or password(s)
  • Change password(s) regularly
  • Always check your credit card and bank statements
  • Shred receipts, bank statements, etc. when you don’t need them
  • Put a firewall and an anti-virus software on your computer
  • Don’t over-share on social networking sites

More than 14 million Americans reported being victims of identity theft in 2006. Don’t let it happen to you. Take the next step.

Chatham will have a crime prevention class on preventing ID theft on Friday, January 10th at 1:00pm in the PCW Room.

I am a college sophomore double-majoring in math and biology. Some of my hobbies include doodling, juggling, orienteering, martial arts, reading, and writing short stories. In the future, I see myself experimenting with more activities. And, if you take my derivative, you'd probably find that I'm infinite~! -My art portfolio is located on my website (www.poparu.com), which is updated on a monthly basis. It shows my progress from freshman year (9th grade) to present.
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.