Childhood Media Memories: HC Chatham Writer Shannon Ward

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

WQED’s iQ: smartparent series explores how television shows, movies, music and other forms of media influence kids. Here, HC Chatham Writer Shannon Ward reminisces about her favorite picks from childhood.

HC Chatham: What was your favorite TV show in elementary/middle school?

Shannon Ward: My favorite TV show during elementary school and middle school was probably Pokémon. I remember being obsessed with the Game Boy games and liked to watch the first few seasons on television.

Which character from a book did you most want to be your friend in real life? 

As a kid, I really wanted Barda (from the Deltora Quest series) and Bigwig (Richard Adams’ Watership Down) to be my best friends in real life. They’re both depicted as tough, hardy, and admittedly grumpy guys, but they often work twice as hard as anybody else. I could definitely relate to that as a outspoken kid, playing drums in the marching band!

What is your favorite movie from childhood?

My favorite movie from childhood is probably The Lion King or another animated Disney film. When I was little, I used to watch it over and over on my VCR because the musical songs and characters were so engaging!

Which musician/band do you most associate with your childhood?

I grew up in a town that is obsessed with country music (which I can’t stand), so I only really started getting into music in my early teens when I found some Breaking Benjamin songs (“Firefly” and “Polyamorous”) on a video game. I associate Breaking Benjamin with my childhood/teenhood because that was the first time I got to engage with music that I actually liked.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.