Aloe Vera: Not Just for Sun Burn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
We all know that when you get burnt from staying in the sun too long you turn to the famous aloe vera gel to cool the sting. But do we all know the true benefits of owning an aloe plant of our own?

For starters, aloe plants are great for purifying the air (ask NASA). They help remove toxins and leave better air to breathe.  

Aloe is also great for your beauty regimen. It can be used to replace hair conditioner and as a treatment to help hair grow. The gel can be applied to breakouts to help minimize the area, reduce redness and dark spots, and help treat eczema and psoriasis. Use as an exfoliator and make your face an body like new. This is something passed down for thousands of years!

When ingested, aloe gel has been thought to help treat cancer. It can also be used for irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis, ulcers, heartburn, bloating, and MUCH more.  

The uses are seemingly endless, and it is definitely worth the buy. And you can save money on the miracle plant by cultivating your own from a single leaf! Give it a try and you won’t be sorry.  

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.