This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Fun fact: my music taste is relatively…. Interesting. Not quite out there, but I would call it eclectic. Most of it is perfect for chilling on a rainy day or even getting through some tough times. So I figured I would share some of it with you today, to create a playlist of sorts. Without any further a-do, let’s begin, shall we?

1. Alcest: Sur L’Ocean Couleur de Fer

Country of origin: France

Genre: Post-metal/shoegaze

Album this song is from: Écailles de Lune

The title translates to “On the Iron-colored ocean” and the lyrics are beautifully grim, but the true highlight of this song are the instruments. The guitars in this song are fantastic. Simply fantastic.

2. Nest: Moonbow

Country of Origin: Finland

Genre: Neo-Folk/ambient

Album this song is from: Trail of the Unwary

There is interestingly enough a black metal band of the same name, but today we’re discussing the neo-folk group that gives a whole new meaning to contemplation and ambience. Inspiration for the music comes from old folk tales and oddly enough, J.R.R. Tolkien.

3. Katatonia: Soil’s Song

Country of Origin: Sweden

Genre: Progressive metal

Album this song is from: The Great Cold Distance

Speaking of contemplation, if you ever wanted to sit there and think about humanity, its existence, and maybe what’s going on in your own head, this is the band for you.

4. Din Brad: Durere

Country of Origin: Romania

Genre: Folk/dark folk

A side project for the members of the metal band Negură Bunget, Din Brad takes traditional Romanian folklore and puts a darker spin on it. Another notable track off of the album Dor is Amar (or really any track off this album really, still one of my favorite albums to date to be honest).

5. Žalvarnis: Skauda Galvelį

Country of Origin: Lithuania

Genre: Folk Rock

Album this song is from: Žalio Vario

Their lyrics mainly derive from Lithuanian folklore, but this song in particular has a very particular vibe to it; not quite calm, but pretty chill nonetheless.

6. L.E.A.F.: Suurin

Country of Origin: Netherlands

Genre: Folk

Album this song is from: Lys

Derived from an old rite from Northern Finland, the song is meant to invoke power and transformation; but if you just wanted something to make you feel more confident on a rainy, drowsy day, this is the one.

7. Huldre: Ulevinter

Country of Origin: Denmark

Genre: Folk Metal

Album this song is from: Intet Menneskebarn

The music on the album Intet Menneskebarn ranges from dance-folk-metal happy to 100% witchy and dark, but this one stood out to me particularly for the powerful feeling you get when you listen to it.

I hope you guys enjoy at least one of the songs on this list, and if you would like to see another one of these in the future in the comments below!

Born in 1994, Ashe has tumbled in the woods, been attacked by animals and gotten lost on clear-cut trails in the search of an adventure. She enjoys nature in all aspects, fantasy novels and comics, and listens to music that is almost never in English.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.