6 Tips for Staying Motivated Through Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

It’s just about the middle of the semester and I’ve found myself losing the motivation that I had at the start of the term. Here are some tips for regaining and sustaining that motivation!

1. Make a goal and stick to it! Whether its an A in a class or an important internship, having a goal to look forward to and work towards helps keep one motivated and on task. When you’re feeling like giving up, visualize this goal, think about what it’ll be like to achieve it!
  2. Figure out why you would like to achieve this goal. Make of list of positive outcomes that will come out of achieving this goal, and allow this to motivate you to move forward!
  3. Break your larger goal into smaller, mapable goals that will lead you to achieving the Big Goal. Want to get an A in a class? Make smaller goals to study or meet with professors. This will keep you on track and keep you from getting overwhelmed.
  4. Reward yourself for completing tasks that will get you to your goal! You don’t have to spend much or anything at all, taking some time for yourself to relax or taking yourself out to get ice cream when you’ve accomplished a smaller goal helps to encourage positivity motivation.
  5. Don’t be too hard on yourself! If you miss a deadline or don’t achieve one of your smaller goals at the time you thought you would, remember there’s no use and beating yourself up over it. Give yourself time to be sad, then get to work on how you will keep moving forward. Don’t let mistakes bog you down!
  6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! There are always resources and people out there to help. Friends and family can be great cheerleaders when you need it, and if you’re in university, professors and other staff are there to help, so don’t be afraid to shoot them an email or ask to meet up!
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.