The 13 Best of Country Radio 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

All opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own.

I found myself switching stations a lot more than I usually do (instead of just staying tuned to Y108), because “Cruise,” “Hey Girl” and the sheer horror of Jake Owen trying to rap came through my car speakers. The sadness from the loss of George Jones made it even harder sometimes to continue listening, while all the while thinking “Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes?”

Even so, 2013 was actually an even better year than 2012 for country music. Not only did great newcomers (such as winner of The Voice Danielle Bradbery and Tyler Farr) step on the scene, but this momentum was capped off this winter by the long-awaited return of Garth Brooks. So, in honor of the past year and in hopes of even better music in 2014, here are the thirteen best country songs of 2013! 

13. “Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw ft. Keith Urban and Taylor Swift

12. “All Kinds of Kinds” by Miranda Lambert

11. “See You Tonight” by Scotty McCreery

10. “All Over the Road” by Easton Corbin

9. “Pirate Flag” by Kenny Chesney

8. “Aw Naw” by Chris Young

7. “Redneck Crazy” by Tyler Farr

6. “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert

5. “Outta My Head” by Craig Campbell

4. “The Heart of Dixie” by Danielle Bradbery

3. “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker

2. “Tonight I’m Playin’ Possum” by Randy Travis and Joe Nichols

1.  “Sweet Annie” by Zac Brown Band

What were your favorite country songs of 2013? Let us know in the comments!

Cover Photo: Digital Journal

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.