10 Wacky (But Effective) Finals Week Strategies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Finals Week can feel like the longest week of the semester. These ten simple strategies will make it more fun than ever (or at least shake things up a bit)!

1. Rehearse presentations naked in front of a mirror.

This one is recommended by Blog Section Editor Catherine Giles: “If you can do that, you can do anything!”

2. Practice math problems on a mini dry erase board.

Pick one up for under $5 at Five Below, or get a slightly larger one at Target. There’s something delightful about swapping out pencils for bright markers.

3. Turn group study sessions into quiz shows.

Reserve a room in the library and have some friendly competition. Challenge each other to equation races on a chalkboard or ask Jeopardy-style review questions. You can even use any bell as a buzzer!

4. Work against the clock.

Stressful? Maybe a little. But setting a timer may help you plow through material you’re not looking forward to studying. It’s much less intimidating to face 10 minutes of timed, intense review than hours of skimming. Each time you beat the clock (say, memorizing three equations in under five minutes), reward yourself with a song!

5. Create and share playlists.

Build playlists for each course, then send them to your classmates. A well-designed soundtrack can make any study session breeze by.

6. Host a studying potluck.

Ask neighbors in your residence hall to bring their favorite study snacks to the common room: granola bars, M&Ms, popcorn, anything! Then put on one of your favorite Finals Week playlists and study for an hour or two.

7. Grab a beer in Café Rachel.

If you’re over 21, few things will make you feel more sophsticated than sipping a glass of wine or a beer by the fire in Café Rachel. Underage? Hot chocolate or a massive cup of coffee will keep you focused.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.