This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Sunday February 28th is the 88th annual Academy Awards, the highlight of the awards season. This is actually the first year where I am excited to sit down and watch the entire event because I’ve somehow managed to watch a large majority of the films nominated. I’m emotionally committed. However, if you’re like many others, and haven’t dedicated yourself to being ‘Oscar-cultured’ then fear not; I’m going to breakdown the 7 more well-known categories to give you an idea of who the winners and losers will be. Lights! Camera! Overly expensive gift bags! Celebrities! Aaaaaaand Action!

Best Picture:

The Nominees: Bridge of Spies, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant, Spotlight, The Martian, The Big Short, Room, Brooklyn

Who Should Win – The Revenant – The director, the actor, not to mention that the entire thing was shot using only natural light…this film is going to win all the awards.

Who Will Win – The Revenant – Seriously. Go see this movie if you haven’t already

Best Actress (Because I’m tired of the fact that the men always go first):

The Nominees: Brie Larson – Room, Charlotte Rampling – 45 Years, Cate Blanchett – Carol, Saoirse Ronan – Brooklyn, Jennifer Lawrence – Joy

Who Should Win: Brie Larson – Her role as a young women held captivity for seven years with her 5 year old son is absolutely breathtaking.

Who Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence: Mostly because I kind of want to see a repeat of last year.

Best Actor:

The Nominees: Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl, Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs, Bryan Cranston – Trumbo, Matt Damon – The Martian, Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant

Who Should Win: LEO

Who Will Win: LEO – THERE ARE NO MORE ARGUMENTS ABOUT THIS. HE FOUGHT A BEAR. HE SLEPT IN A HORSE CARCASS. GIVE THIS POOR MAN AN OSCAR BEFORE HE KILLS HIMSELF I’M BEGGING YOU.

Best Director:

The Nominees: George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road, Adam McKay – The Big Short, Lenny Abrahamson – Room, Alejandro González Iñárritu – The Revenant, Tom McCarthy – Spotlight

Who Should Win: George Miller – Mad Max is truly a cinematic masterpiece. 

Who Will Win: Alejandro González Iñárritu – I don’t know if anyone’s ever won best director two years in a row. First Birdman, now The Revenant; this man has a gift.

Best supporting Actress:

The Nominees: Rachel McAdams – Spotlight, Rooney Mara – Carol, Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight, Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs, Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl

Who Should Win: Kate Winslet – I haven’t actually seen the film, but she and Leo are best friends and I can’t imagine anything better than Leo getting to share his big win with someone he cares immensely for.

Who Will Win: Alicia Vikander

Best Supporting Actor:

The Nominees: Mark Ruffalo – Spotlight, Sylvester Stallone – Creed, Tom Hardy – The Revenant, Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies, Christian Bale – The Big Short

Who Should Win: Honestly, I didn’t think any of these performances were particularly good.

Who Will Win: Maybe Mark Ruffalo? He has a weird haircut in the film that I still haven’t stopped thinking about apparently.

Best Original Song:

Okay. So here’s the deal. I’m almost 100% sure that The Weeknd is going to win with ‘Earned It.’

What’s absolutely hilarious about that is that guess which film The Weeknd is going to be winning it for?

Fifty Shades will have an Oscar. Ain’t life grand?