This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

If you’ve ever questioned your self-worth, you’re not alone. According to the National Report on the State of Self-Esteem, 7 in 10 girls believe they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way, including their looks, performance in school and relationships with family and friends. Why does this matter? Well for starters, lack of confidence can have a huge impact on your happiness. And your happiness is important.

Reminder to take care of yourself: You know on airplanes how in case of emergency they tell you to adjust your oxygen mask before helping those around you? I like to think this also applies to every day life. Help yourself before you help others. This may seem like a selfish thing to do, but taking care of yourself is key to happiness. You might just someone who puts the needs of everyone else before your own and that’s okay, but remember that you are always justified in putting yourself first.

Reminder that your worth isn’t measured by someone’s ability/inability to love you: it’s easy to associate affection with personal value, but just because someone is incapable of loving you doesn’t mean you don’t deserve love. If the person you’re with isn’t able to give you what you need, leave. You don’t owe your time to anyone and if you have yet to find the person who makes you happy, I promise that eventually you will. Love will come to you when it’s ready, not necessarily when you are.

Reminder that you are worth more than anyone who treats you like you have none: If someone treats you poorly, it’s probably a sign that they’re not happy with themselves. Don’t let someone’s hurtful actions impact your own understanding of who you are and what you deserve. You’re worth is greater than anyone who doubts yours. 

Reminder to not waste your time by being with someone who makes you feel underappreciated, devalued, and disregarded: Again, if you start to feel like you’re in a relationship with or there is someone currently in your life who only causes negativity, it’s okay to detach them from your life. Nobody who is supposed to make you feel good should make you feel the opposite. Don’t hesitate to end relationships with people who are harmful to your happiness.

Don’t settle for less than what you deserve: It’s okay to wait for something better. Focus on yourself, the little things, and always make sure that you’re addressing how you feel. Remember that your feelings are valid as well. You deserve to have the best, don’t forget that.

You deserve more than you think: Even if you don’t think you deserve happiness, you do. We all do. So believe in your worth and others will too. 

Danielle is a spoken word artist from Chicago and a nationally ranked slam poet who previously competed with the Los Angeles youth team. She has a strong fascination with sunflowers, a love for crows, and an addiction to tattoos.