Why You Should Rediscover the Joy of Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Since getting our iphones, ipads, and laptops our time spent staring at a screen has dramatically increased. We not only have made the switch to ebooks on kindles and ipads but instead of settling down to a good story before bed we watch Netflix or browse our social media on our phones. I am guilty of this myself, ever since I got my first ipod the amount of reading I did outside of school dropped to none. As a child who stayed up late under the covers reading, I have come to miss the feeling of being caught up in a good story not being able to put it down. Here are some reasons why you should try and pick up a book instead of Netflix:

1. Studies show that staring at the screen of your electronic before bed could be negatively affecting the sleep you get. The bright light from your device makes your brain think it’s day time making it more difficult to sleep. Try a book instead! (http://www.techinsider.io/how-smartphone-light-affects-your-brain-and-body-2015-9

2. Read the book before the movie! If you’re excited about a new movie coming out that is based on a book why not read that? Or if you saw a movie based on a book that you really loved, why not pick up that book so you can spend some more time with those characters?

3. It gives you something to talk about. Reading that book, you’ve been hearing all about can be a good conversation starter. 

4. Reading makes you smarter according to studies! And the great thing is that it doesn’t matter if you’re reading Harry Potter again or a biography on Alexander Hamilton, it all does the same thing for your brain! (http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/23/can-reading-make-you-smarter)

5. There’s nothing like a good story. Reading a book calls on using your imagination, you get to be the director of the story and no one gets to say otherwise. The feeling of never wanting to say good bye to a character is special and not to be forgotten.

So visit your local library or brush off an old book from your shelf and crack it open, I promise only good things can happen!