Why You Should Make Time for Leisure Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

In college, it’s really hard to do your required reading, let alone find time to read for fun. But, it’s something that should really be done more often and here’s how you could find ways to actually make time for your leisure reading!

Why You Should Do It:

Reading Helps You Relax

We’re all guilty of checking our phones before bed, but since it has been shown to keep you wired through the night, pick up a book instead! It’s a good way to help you unwind from the day and catch up on the newest crime novel everyone has raved about.

Reading Has Benefits That Can Help You Throughout Life

Better writing skills, increased concentration and focus, improved analytical thinking skills and memory, as well as an expansion of your mental dictionary are not only helpful in college, but in life. All this could be achieved by just reading a little bit a day.

It’s Something You Can Do for Free

While many prefer buying books, as college students, it’s really hard to think about spending semi-frivolously sometimes. You could borrow some of the newest titles from your local library or even borrow from your good friends who’ve recommended you some other fun titles. Either way, who doesn’t love free entertainment?

How To Do It:

Section Off a Bit of Time

Whether it’s thirty minutes or an hour, start small by reading one day out of your week and then increase your dose of reading as wanted. Make it doable so that you’re not tempted to give up.

Find Something You Want To Read

This can’t be stressed enough: find a book you’re interested in. It could be the latest book-to-movie novel, a historical non-fiction on your favorite band, or a cutesy young-adult book. Read something you’ll want to pick up over and over again.

Read Anything

Anything is readable. Seriously. Anything. It doesn’t have to be a book. It could be a magazine, a blog, a newspaper, a comic book, or anything else your heart desires. Just go forth and develop a love of reading.