Why Having Memories Is More Important Than Having Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We’re young. We’re not supposed to have our entire lives figured out yet. We need to live while we’re young without feeling as though we’re avoiding our new adult responsibilities. I believe that this is our time to be reckless and to live a little. When we look back on these days, we aren’t going to remember how we were so proud of holding back and saving every last penny. We are going to remember the wild memories back with our best friends at 2 a.m. after a spur of the moment decision to go to a concert. We’re going to look back on these days and be grateful that we chose to live a life.

When our time runs out, we won’t be able to take anything with us. No money, no souvenirs…Nothing. As far as what we leave behind, wouldn’t we rather leave memories in the hearts of those closest to us rather than what turned out to be a futile savings account?

Life should be about celebrating the beautiful life that we have and the beautiful people that we have in it. It’s like what Maya Angelou meant when she said, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

So instead of focusing on always saying the right thing, being insanely successful and over-saving, maybe we should focus on making memories and making those around us feel good. It is these kind of things that we will never forget.