What in the World is Going On?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

This week: HPV, the KKK, Guantanamo Bay, Kesha, and why we don’t eat cereal

HPV:

What happened?

Good news! According to medical professionals, HPV rates have gone down 64% since the introduction of the HPV vaccine.

Why is this important?

You probably remember when the CDC began recommending HPV vaccines like Gardasil about ten years ago. Since then, there has been much debate about the effectiveness and the morality of the vaccine. However, this week, the naysayers have been silenced by a study released by a medical journal called Pediatrics, which clearly shows a drop in prevalence in HPV among women (especially young women). So if you haven’t been vaccinated for HPV, you now have permission to go for it! Remember, getting vaccinated is pretty much a guaranteed way to prevent disease.

Anaheim, California:

What happened?

Three people were stabbed and about a dozen were arrested during a Ku Klux Klan (KKK) in Anaheim, less than 15 minutes away from Chapman’s campus. Great.

Why is this important?

Soon after members of the KKK showed up to Pearson Park in order to hold a rally, three protesters reported that they had been stabbed by the Klansmen. As it turns out, the KKK has had a history of prominence in Anaheim and you may even remember when residents of Orange found KKK recruitment letters at their doors. On the bright side, at least the Klan members were outnumbered at their own rally.

Guantanamo Bay:

What happened?

President Obama announced his plan to shut down Guantanamo Bay for good, something he’s wanted to do for a while now.

Why is this important?

Unsurprisingly, Congress can’t seem to make a decision regarding whether or not to close the prison. Although closing GTMO received bipartisan support back in 2008, with President George W. Bush and Senator John McCain also in support of the plan, Congressional Republicans today are not so into the idea anymore. In his speech, President Obama emphasized the fact that the prison does little to advance national security, reminding Congress that only 91 prisoners remain in Guantanamo Bay today, compared to a high of 679 in 2003. According to President Obama’s plan, the remaining detainees will be sent to their home countries or to US military and civilian prisons. For more information, here’s a quick summary of the opposition to shutting down Guantanamo Bay.

Kesha:

What happened?

By now, you most probably have heard of Kesha’s legal battle against Sony Music and producer Dr. Luke, who has been accused of sexually assaulting the singer. A New York judge has since ruled in favor of Sony Music.

Why is this important?

You’re probably also aware of the public outrage surrounding the court ruling that essentially forces Kesha to work with her alleged abuser. The judge that made the court ruling claimed that there wasn’t enough evidence to accuse Dr. Luke of Kesha’s allegations, leaving Kesha bound to her five-album contract with Dr. Luke and Sony Music. In response, Dr. Luke has since countersued Kesha for defamation (AKA making him look bad). We may all be saying #FreeKesha now, but remember when we weren’t so nice to her?

Cereal:

What happened?

Apparently, we (millennials) don’t eat cereal. Old people say it’s because we’re lazy.

Why is this important?

Our parents and grandparents loved breakfast cereal for two reasons: taste and convenience. However, recent numbers from the New York Times have shown that eating cereal just isn’t convenient enough for those of us born between the years of 1982 and 2004. As a result, cereal sales have gone down 30 percent since 2000. According to the millennials surveyed, 40 percent said that cereal is an inconvenient breakfast food because it requires clean up after eating. Well, maybe we don’t have enough time to clean our cereal bowls because we’re too busy creating startups, or trying to pay off our student loans, or fixing the problems caused by some people who were born way before we were. Or maybe we’re all just too busy hooking up with each other. Who knows?

Shootings this week:

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Central Kansas