This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Coming into college, I didn’t think I’d join a sorority but now that I have, I couldn’t imagine my college experience without the wonderful people that I’ve met from it. Here are some things my sisterhood has taught me! 

1. Stereotypes are inaccurate

The happy go lucky sorority girl image is false and we don’t simply party or take pictures all the time. We have study hall hours to complete!

2. Inclusivity rather than exclusivity

With breaking stereotypes comes the idea that everyone is welcome, that’s the point of sisterhood. Regardless of where they come from or if they aren’t in your sorority, everyone deserves respect and validation!

3. It’s important to give back

Community service is such a great way to give back. Did you know that people that participate in philanthropy live longer? 

4. Being there for one another is all that matters

Caring for another person can fall back on simply being there. It can make a world of difference.

5. The older you get, the more of an excuse you have to act like a kid

Sometimes, loudly screaming off-key songs is the best memory to make.

6. While your experiences are unique your struggles are similar

Ideally, no one would ever experience anything negative however, that just isn’t the case. Your sisters are there to remind you that it’s okay to not be okay sometimes and have a good cry. 

7. Leadership

I can easily say that the best thing about my sorority is how I look up to so many of my sisters. They’re so involved on and off campus that this phrase is not in their vocabulary:

8. Networking

Going to events and meetings, you meet new people in your sorority every time you get involved. So when the time comes and you need a contact, you know a person that knows a person and can hook you up.

9. Say yes to more things

If anyone is going to convince you to go to more events or try something you’ve never done before, it’s your sisters. Whether it’s dragging you to try a new food or to date party, they’re always there to expand your experiences.