harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What It’s Like To Be An Introverted Extrovert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

When it comes to introversion and extroversion, most people can easily evaluate their characteristics and place themselves into one of these life-long memberships. But what if it’s not that clear-cut for you?

Introversion and extroversion can usually be determined by how you spend your down time: if you’d rather settle down with some mint chocolate chip ice cream and treat yourself to a whole season of The Office or if you’d prefer to hit the clubs with your #SQUAD and get 10 new numbers by the end of the night.

But maybe you like both equally…or maybe…just maybe…you’re the rarest species in the world: an introverted extrovert.

Introverted extroverts love the idea of going out and crave intimacy and connection with people. They are extroverts at heart but have conflicting introverted tendencies that get in the way when it comes to making plans.

If you’re an introverted extrovert, the weekend will come and you’ll start to get excited and think of all the things that you want to accomplish.

But then you have to make plans…which means you have to contact people…which means you have to talk to people…which you don’t like.

You already have anxiety most days and once you start to make plans, anxiety pulls up a chair in your life and makes itself at home.

Why can’t people just come to you?

One of the main problems with you wanting to go out is not having the courage to actually do it. Going out takes a lot of energy for an introvert, but your desire as an extrovert to do so doesn’t go away and ends up making you guilt-trip yourself.

You worry that people won’t like you.

What if you have plans with a friend and they invite someone else?

What if someone judges you?

What if you go out and end up hating it?

You end up stressing yourself out so much that you spend the whole weekend in your bed upset at yourself for “wasting” another weekend.

And you usually end up thinking “why is there so much pressure to have the time of your life on the weekends?”

So how do you deal with this?

1.    Be honest with your friends. Tell them your worries and they’ll be sure to console you.

2.    At the end of the day, stop stressing and go with your gut. Do what makes you comfortable and happy and stick with it. Just because your friends are going out doesn’t mean that you have to.

3.    Find a balance. Challenge yourself to try new things but don’t try to be someone you’re not.

When it comes down to it, most of us are combinations of introverts and extroverts. We all enjoy our alone time and all enjoy time with others. So embrace who you are as a person and everyone else will too!