Ways to Make Yourself Feel Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Have you ever had one of those days where nothing is going your way and just when you think it might start to look up, it turns around and gets worse? Trust me, I’ve been there. We’ve all been there. Whether you’re having trouble in an upper division class, your boyfriend is being a total jerk or you’re feeling sad for no particular reason — which, by the way, is totally OK — here are seven ways to elevate your mood.

1. Call your mom. Odds are she’ll know exactly what to say to make you feel better, and even if she doesn’t, it’s always comforting to hear her voice on the other end of the line.

2. Eat a piece of dark chocolate. Or two. Dark chocolate helps to stimulate the production of endorphins, which trigger feelings of pleasure in the brain (yay science). And, let’s be real — who really needs another reason to snack on some chocolate?

3. Go for a run. Once you get past the point of feeling like you’re gonna pass out, running can be an effective form of meditation. By physically exerting yourself, it alleviates your mind of mental and emotional stress. So throw on a pair of running shoes and run yourself to a better mood.

4. Watch videos of puppies. Pretty self-explanatory.

5. Take a nap. Wake up feeling refreshed, ready to conquer anything.

6. Light up your space. If you tend to habituate yourself in darker places, this could be negatively impacting your mood. Open up the curtains or blinds in your room to let more natural light in. As simple as this sounds, existing in an environment exposed to more natural sunlight can have an astoundingly positive impact on your overall mood. So for the sake of your emotional well being, lighten up.

7. Throw on some sad music and cry it out. This sounds a lot sadder than it is, but sometimes you just need to let yourself ugly cry. Crying is proven to alleviate stress, and honestly, it means you’re human. So go listen to “Say Something” by A Great Big World (or any song that really gets to you), and let it all out.