Top Blogs to Discover Good Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.
As a music guru, I spend almost all of the (little) free time that I have on Billboard/ Hits Daily Double/ Pitchfork trying to stay up to date on the hottest music trends and what’s happening in the industry. For all of you Her Campus music devotees who aren’t so into the B2B stuff but want to get the 411 on how to easily uncover cool new artists and remixes…that’s where I come in! 

To start out, here are a list of some of my all time favorite music blogs:

1. Indie Shuffle: This site is my typical go-to. Why? No Ads… Ever! Unlike Songza and Spotify you can skip though as many songs as you want until you find the perfect one to jam out to. You can search by genre, ranging all the way from electric/indie rock to hip-hop and mashups. Filtering out what you don’t like from what you love has never been so easy. Check it out here: indieshuffle.com

2. mySpoonful: Simple but fabulous. For each artist that they feature they provide a small amount of info on the band, the category their music belongs to, and why you should check them out. You will seriously spend hours on here because if you end up liking an artist, they connect you with other bands similar to them. There’s a free MP3 song download underneath too (free I said!). Check it out here: myspoonful.com

3. Pigeons & Planes: The perfect combo of mainstream and the local bands you’ve never heard of. Besides the super cool name, the blog provides an easy way to keep you up to date on the industry and on good new music. They also have free playlist downloads and an abundace of cool interviews with artists. Check it out here: pigeonsandplanes.com

4. Hypetrak: Hyprak is an online music magazine that shuffles through all the latest music, and offers daily news, features and editorials on the culture of music. Not limited to genre, Hypetrak offers a more dynamic experience for those more interested in staying updated on the industry. If you click on the music tab located at the top, you can find tons of cool songs and remakes. Check it out here: hypetrak.com

5. Hype Machine: Last, but definitely not least: a website that keeps track of what over 800 music bloggers are writing about and shows what they’ve discovered for “easy analysis, consumption, and discovery.” You can listen to tracks (not avail for download), bookmark them to watch at a later time, get updates, and subscribe to various blogs. Check it out here: hypem.com

Enjoy & more to come!