david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Horror Movies for the Easily Scared

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of horror movies. For a long time, it was hard for people to get me to watch films that featured a lot of gore. However, in the last few years, I’ve become less terrified of this genre. I just realized I had to watch horror films that weren’t all blood, guts and nothing else. So here are the five horror films to watch on Halloween night if you’re easily scared.

1. The Cabin In The Woods

This was the first horror film that I ever saw. What makes this film so great is there are a lot of elements that make it so much more than the cliche scary movie you think it is in the beginning. There is some gore, yes, but in my opinion, it is balanced out with intrigue, as the audience has to figure out what is going on. There is also some great comedy in this film, with a lot of witty writing. From this, The Cabin In The Woods is more fun than frightening and great to watch with friends.

2. It Follows

It Follows is a film that has a lot to offer aside from scares. There’s little gore, however, there is a lot of suspense. It’s not a horror film so much as a thriller.  This film is a compelling look into the concept of the unknown, what’s real and not real. It’s stylish and gripping. Plus, it’s got a great soundtrack.

3. This Is The End

In the same vein of The Cabin In The Woods, This Is The End features comedy. Except here, it’s a lot more heightened. Seth Rogen, James Franco and a bunch of other comedians have to save themselves from the terrors of the apocalypse. There are some creepy elements to this movie, yes, but this film doesn’t take itself that seriously. It’s all very silly,  and the ending is fantastic.

4. Cloverfield

A lot of the horror elements of this film are shrouded in mystery. While it is disturbing at times, it never goes too far. This is a monster movie where you barely see the monster at all. Because of this, there is a heightened level of investment in what’s going on, and how the characters are going to survive. So when you do finally see the monster that’s been rampaging the city, you’ll be more satisfied than scared.

5. Zombieland

This film is also a great horror comedy. There is a little bit of disturbing imagery, what with the Zombie takeover. However, it is the characters in this film that make it so great. The performances from Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Woody Harrelson as well as the chemistry they have with one another makes this film so much more than scary and definitely fun to watch.