Sydney Jacobs: Has Been To More Concerts Than You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Communication Studies major / Psychology minor

Hometown: Orange, CA (represent)

Relationship Status: Single

How would you describe your style?

My style is “I get away with still shopping at Hot Topic, but you can’t tell.” But actually, my style consists of basically just black clothes. Black clothes just make you feel badass. I’m most comfortable in jeans, a band t-shirt, and Converse or Doc Martens. What I wear is also definitely influenced by the music I listen to. I’ll see that an artist or a band I like have a certain style and I’ll try to recreate the same feel in my own way (such as Jesse Rutherford, Harry Styles, and Matty Healy).

If you could have any TV or movie character’s wardrobe, whose would you chose?

Although it is so far from anything I’d ever own, the first character that comes to mind is Chanel Oberlin from Scream Queens. She kills it. If you haven’t seen the show, you should.

If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

It’s hard for me to not say Pillowtalk by Zayn right now. But actually, it would probably be something like “Every Breath You Take” by the Police because it reminds me of my Dad.

How many concerts have you been to?

So, I’ve done my best to count and I’ve been to about 80 different headline concerts. In addition, I’ve been to Wango Tango, KROQ Weenie Roast, KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas, Rock in Rio, and iHeartRadio Music Festival, which are all 1-2 day festivals with about 20 acts each. If you add all the artists who I’ve watched at some point it adds up to near 200. This year I have tickets to Coachella, Wango Tango, The 1975, Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas, Fall Out Boy, and Twenty-one Pilots. Some must-sees shows are definitely Lady Gaga, Bleachers, George Ezra, Hozier, J. Cole, James Bay, The Pretty Reckless, Ryn Weaver… I could go on forever. 

What are three albums that really define you or have shaped you as a person?

The Immaculate Collection by Madonna is technically a compilation of her earlier greatest hits, such as “Like a Virgin,” “Material Girl,” “Open Your Heart,” and “Express Yourself.” My parents were always playing 80s pop in the car and Madonna was my favorite as a kid. When I was 12 I had a PlayStation 2 karaoke game where I first heard Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, and My Chemical Romance, which ended up shaping my taste in music and having a huge impact on who I am today. Thanks to that video game, Fall Out Boy’s From Under the Cork Tree will always be the most influential album in my life. Lastly, an album that is extremely important to me is The 1975’s self titled album. This album came out before my freshman year at Chapman and I feel like it has been the anthem for a new chapter in my life.

What does a perfect day like look to you?

Waking up, having a huge breakfast, going to the beach with my friends/family, then going to LA at night for dinner and a concert.

What’s your biggest pet peeve?

My biggest pet peeve is people who do not have a filter. I think it’s very important to self monitor and be mindful of who you’re speaking to and what may come off as offensive, rude, or hurtful. 

If you had to be on a reality TV show, which one would you choose?

If MTV rebooted Rock of Love but with Jared Leto or something I would be down for that.

What’s been your favorite memory at Chapman?

Almost all of my favorite memories at Chapman have been with my roommates and close group of friends that I met here so I could never choose one specific memory with them. Aside from them, this interterm, I took the travel course A Tale of Two Cities in London and Paris and it’s probably the best decision I’ve made at Chapman. My favorite memory from the trip (aside from being of legal drinking age) was going ice skating in the Eiffel Tower one night. It was absolutely unreal.