The Stress of Coming Home for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Returning home from college during Thanksgiving Break sounds like a dream come true! You’re sleeping in your own bed, catching up with family and friends, playing with your pets…but, and we all know it, Thanksgiving Break is also rushed, crazy and horrifically stressful!

It begins weeks before you even get home…friends are texting you, asking not just about your arrival date, but about the exact minute you’ll be touching down on the landing strip, and that’s when you know: You’re not getting away with a lack of scheduling this break.

Thanksgiving Break asks of you the impossible: fitting in multiple breakfast dates, lunch dates and dinner dates all with different friends, while spending quality time with family. You hardly see your dog, your cat or your fish. You’re barely even sleeping in your bed. You have to fit in two months worth of socializing into five days!

Then there’s the family Thanksgiving dinner itself, a beautiful night in which the same questions are asked over and over by every single family member. We all know what it’s like. It’s probably your first visit home since beginning the school year, and grandma wants to know every detail about what you’re learning. So does your uncle. And your older cousin. And your older cousin’s best friend’s cat.

But, you know what? All of the stress is worth it because Thanksgiving Break is the best. You’ll miss it when you’re back at school and studying for finals in December!

Pyper Hayden is a freshman at Chapman University. She is a Creative Writing major from San Carlos, California. In her free time, she enjoys eating “good”* food, making people laugh, and performing. Pyper has been writing since high school, finding specific passions in genres including: horror, romance, and playwriting. She aspires to one day have her script(s) produced by a high-end theatre company. *“Good food” = pasta (she’s picky!)