Spring Break in SoCal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

The pressure to do something super fun, adventurous, and exciting for spring break can be tough. Some of us stay at a timeshare in Cancun, others get some color tanning on the beaches of Maui…and some of us just stay in good old Southern California. If you’re a native, or you’ve just been at Chapman for a long time, Southern California doesn’t exactly sound like the most exciting place you could be for spring break.

However, many of us forget that we live in a vacation spot! There’s tons of stuff to do – you just have to look around. So whether you’re staying on campus for break, or you’re going home but will still be local, check out these day trip ideas to make the most out of your spring break.

1. The Beach

Ok, the beach is a little typical. But the way to spice it up is to visit beaches you haven’t been to before! Lucky for us, Southern California has a TON of different beaches you can choose from that offer totally different features. From San Diego to Santa Monica, there are beaches best for snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing, or just relaxing! Here are some to check out:

– Moonlight Beach (San Diego)

– Venice Beach (Los Angeles)

– Marina Del Ray (Santa Monica)

2. The Santa Monica Pier

Even if you’ve been before, the Santa Monica Pier is a super fun and beautiful place to spend the day. Check out Third Street Promenade for some shopping, head over to the pier for some rides, and end the day on the beach. You won’t be bored!

3. Explore San Diego

Especially if you’re staying at Chapman, or you’re unfamiliar with the San Diego area, check it out! It’s a nice way to get out of the L.A. area and get in a different environment for awhile. There are tons of things to do in San Diego, so make sure to check out the Gaslamp District, La Jolla Cove, or the Wild Animal Park.

4. Hike to the Hollywood Sign

You’ve probably been to Hollywood and caught a glimpse of the famous Hollywood Sign, but have you ever gotten up close? Take advantage of the beautiful weather, get some fresh air, and hike up to the sign to get a breathtaking view of Hollywood!

5. Museums

If you are looking for something more low-key to do, Los Angeles is home to some beautiful museums. Try visiting the Getty Museum or the Griffith Observatory to check out some gorgeous art.

6. Catalina Island

If you’re willing to spend a little extra money on a day trip, try looking into Catalina Island. It’s an island only about an hour away, and there’s plenty to do, making it a perfect local vacation! Whether you want to explore the mainland or try some water activities, you’re bound to have a blast.