Spring Break 2016: A California Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Spring break is nearly here! If you’re not into that whole “party on the beach and sip margaritas by the pool” thing, then I’ve got a plan for you! It’s time to break out the maps and hit the road. While seeing the entirety of California would take weeks if not months to complete, I made a seven-day guide to California road trip with the best of the best for your spring break.

1. San Diego, CA

You wouldn’t believe how much there is to do in sunny San Diego. Take a hike or visit a museum at Balboa Park. Or take a trip on the wild side, and visit the San Diego Zoo. Head out to Carlsbad and go see the Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch, where you can witness some major flower power for miles and miles. Springtime is the best time to go see them!

2. Joshua Tree National Park

Go for a hike in the magical mountainous terrain of Joshua Tree. Brownie points if you stay overnight and get to witness the awesome view of the stars.

3.  Los Angeles, CA

The possibilities are literally so endless. Whether it’s shopping on the Promenade in Santa Monica, or taking a walk along the Venice Canals, there’s always something to do in LA.

4. Santa Barbara, CA

Take a walk down State street, the hotspot for restaurants and shops. Or if you’re looking for something more active to do, take a hike to Knapp’s Castle, where you can see the remnants of an old Santa Barbara mansion.

5. Big Sur, CA

An absolute must see in California! Visit the Julia Pfeiffer Burns Park, to see McWay Falls, arguably one of the most beautiful sights in California. There are tons of other hikes, viewpoints, and camping spots to see in Big Sur.

6. San Francisco, CA

Shop till ya drop in Union Square. Better yet, go thrift shopping on Haight-Ashbury. Visit Golden Gate Park and for good hike with lots to see! And if you’re hungry, try Fisherman’s Wharf, Chinatown, Ghirardelli Square, or the Mission District for endless good eats.

7. Sonoma, CA

Wine tasting GALORE. And don’t worry, if you’re under 21, there’s still tons of restaurants and hiking around. 

Oh, and don’t forget to take pictures!