“Salty” Senior: Krissy Hengesh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Age: 21

Year: Senior

Major: PR and Advertising

Minor: Leadership & Entrepreneurship Minor

Hometown: Portland, Oregon 

Affiliations: Delight & Alpha Phi

Favorite Quote: “Today you are you that’s truer than true there’s no one alive that’s you-er than you”

How do you like to spend your time?

I love the outdoors. I love more than anything to go outside and find new adventures. To find unknown places and to explore. It’s fun to go by myself and also to go with friends. I love playing with the hypothetical. I love playing with ideas and possibilities. Thinking about new businesses to start or really crazy party ideas. I like letting my creativity go wild. I like playing in the kitchen. I like talking to strangers. I love to dress up in funny outfits. 

What has been Chapman’s biggest impact on you?

It’s given me a space to grow. Within that, one thing is the opportunity to start a club and to fulfill a need that I saw Chapman had. That gave me confidence to do more outside of Chapman as well. Another part of that is Alpha Phi. I remember as a freshman being so amazed by the seniors and admiring all that they accomplished. And now here I am, as a senior, accomplishing things that I never thought I could, and doing things I never imagined myself doing. My leadership minor has also given me a sense of self and a sense of belief in myself to go out and do what I want to do. It’s also given me the confidence to communicate that to others.

What has been your biggest impact on Chapman?

Starting the club Delight, which is a college women’s community that grows together, serves together, learns together and does life together while chasing after the heart of God! The coolest thing that I’ve seen so far is that girls have come into Delight with a wide range of struggles and I’ve seen them find truth outside of their struggles and find freedom. And I’ve seen these girls give back to Delight. Delight gives a home to those girls who don’t feel like they belong at Chapman. 

What would be your advice to people just starting their Chapman experience?

To just do everything. Just go out and do what you want to do even if you have no one to go with. You have nothing to lose. No one will judge you. You will only meet new friends and have new experiences. I’m into this phrase “salt yourself.” Salt is used to bring out flavor. So you need to ‘salt’ who you are and be yourself and be unique and that’s where you will find your true self and true happiness to rock you who really are.

When and how do you ‘salt’ yourself?

I ‘salt’ myself when I’m feeling down or bad about myself. When I’m in one of those moods where I don’t feel confident or I feel sad about something, I consciously make an effort to make a mental list of things I should be proud of and happy about. I ‘salt’ myself by thinking these good thoughts and recognizing I can’t be good at everything, but that there are lots of things that make me special. 

What are your plans after graduation?

One of my biggest ambitions and goals in life is to have a consulting firm of some sort where entrepreneurs come to me with their ideas and ambitions and I help them make it a tangible reality. And the best part of this idea is that I want to have it in a treehouse!