Pinterest Test: How to Clean Your Flat Iron, Curler, etc.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

For this week’s Pinterest Test, I decided to go with a cleaning hack.  But a lot of the cleaning hacks were meant for large homes and things that us college kids didn’t really need to do all that often.

So instead, I found one that most of us girls can relate to: How to clean your flat iron, curler, etc.  Because let’s be honest, how many times have you actually thought “I should clean my straightener, curler, etc. today”?  Well this hack, just like the previous ones, is really simple.  It only requires two ingredients: hydrogen peroxide and baking soda (for the pin, click here).

The original pin, was meant for cleaning a flat iron, but since I just bought a new one, and I hadn’t used it all that much for it to be dirty, I decided to use my curler because as you can see, it has a lot of burned hair product on it.

To start, I poured the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in a bowl, and mixed them together to create a thick paste.

Then, I used a spoon to spread it all over the inside of the curler because that’s where most of the gunk was.  And as you can see, I simply tied the cord of the curler around the clasp to keep it open.

After that I just let it sit for ten minutes and then wiped it off with a paper towel.  And voila!  (Well kind of…)  While it doesn’t look as new as the straightener did in the original pin, it does look cleaner than it did before.  I probably could’ve left the mixture on it for a little bit longer, or just used a toothbrush to scrub the remainder off, like the pin suggested, or both!

But overall, I would say this Pinterest test was a semi-success!  I might have to go back and try it again someday to see if it works out any differently.