neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter To People Pleasers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Dear People Pleasers,

What’s the point? I’m sorry. I hate to be blunt, but I will not please you by indulging in and encouraging a suicide mission. I believe in reaching for the stars and dreaming so big that your hopes become balloons that lift you higher and higher out of this cold and desolate world. That being said, we both know that trying to impress those glittery lights in the sky is an impossible task without an oxygen mask. And you’re not going to have any breath left if you keep spending it on everyone but yourself. I know you’d like to think yourself a martyr but darling you’re never going to please someone so much that they decide to breathe for you for the rest of your life. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you’ve got to stop relying on compliments from gorgeous blue-eyed boys and you’ve got to start filling up your lungs with the moments that you were proud of yourself, the times that no one can take from you. You need to start a new day, a new life, with waking up and looking in the mirror and realizing that the only person you should be concerned with impressing is looking right back at you.

One day you’re going to realize that you need yourself. Relying on others to feel good about yourself will simply create a bottomless pit inside of you, a craving that can never be satisfied. The day of you receiving an award for pleasing the rest of the world will never come. Baby, there’s nothing wrong with dreaming, but perhaps you should start letting these dreams benefit you as well.

I know it’s hard. God knows, I know better than most people. You wonder after a lifetime addiction, a long quest for an intangible Holy Grail of satisfaction, how can you suddenly stop caring. You fear you’ll turn into a hermit or worse, that angry hippie kid who doesn’t give a fuck about anything or anyone. Caring is a good thing, right? Of course it is! But don’t forget that you have just as much importance in this world as the next person, and a relationship with yourself requires just as much effort as with another. What makes you smaller than them? Why put them up on pedestals and reduce yourself to cleaning up the crumbs they leave on the ground? Lift yourself up! Don’t stop caring, in fact start caring more…about the right people.

Love,

A Reformed People Pleaser