Must Have Free Apps for College Survival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Find My iPhone:

Losing an iPhone happens more often than many like to admit. Whether it’s buried in the bottom of a purse, or stranded at that guy’s house from last night, Find My iPhone will help locate the phone on a map. The app also allows users to remotely lock it, play an alert sound, display a message, or erase all the data. Find My iPhone is available for any missing iOs device including iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.

Waze: 

Face it… driving around in southern California traffic can be a nightmare. Waze is a community-based traffic and navigation app to save drivers time, money, and improve their daily commute. It will report road hazards, accidents, and police traps, as well as directions based on current traffic flow and ETA’s.

ParkMe: 

Well now that driving is out of the way, the next problem is parking. ParkMe finds the closest and cheapest parking in a given area. The app shows expected parking costs in a map view so users can easily compare parking options before arriving at their destination. Avoid circling the block and risk being late with this easy to use app that will save time and money.

Shazam: 

Hearing an amazing song a party, the mall, or a friend’s car, but not knowing the title to buy it later can be frustrating. The next time you come across a catchy tune try the song-identifying app, Shazam. This app connects to a phone’s external microphone, listens to the song snippet, and identifies it. It can provide title, lyrics, and links to purchase almost any song as well as saving songs in a list to review later.

Wildcard: 

Wildcard is a news and entertainment app that provides users with current and interesting world events, organized in an easy to navigate mobile experience. The app lists short summaries as well full-length news articles to allow users to stay updated on news and global happenings.  Articles range from: political, global, health, environment, sports, entertainment, and technology news.  Wildcard pulls articles from a variety of news outlets, creating a facilitated and informative experience for users.

BuzzFeed: 

Need a perfect distraction from homework, or need something to do while sitting alone on a bench? The BuzzFeed app has you covered. It has pop-culture news, life tips, and quizzes, to keep you occupied for hours. The next time boredom hits, go ahead and open up BuzzFeed because it’s never a bad time to quiz what fictional tv character represents your love life.

Gif Keyboard:

Sometimes emojis just don’t cut it, so what better way to really get your message across than a gif? The Gif Keyboard is an iPhone keyboard attachment similar to the emoji keyboard. There are categorized folders with animated gifs for practically any subject or emotion. Users browse through and search thousands of gifs and copy and paste to instantly send in a normal iMessage. This app is a great tool, and is guaranteed to provide hours of entertaining gif-filled conversations.

Happy downloading!