To The Middle School Friends I’m Thankful To Have Reconnected With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

To the friends I went to middle school with, 

There are some people in my life who know me as I am today, and there are others, like you, who know exactly how I got here. 

You saw me as an impressionable 12-year-old, running scared when a boy tried to hold my hand at a double date. You knew the girl who spelled “linoleum” wrong (“definition, please?”) in the regional spelling bee in sixth grade. You saw me through it all and always saw the good in me, even when I was that immature tween girl who aspired to be high on the social rankings. They were the best of times and the worst of times, and I always admired you three, through all of it.  One of you knows that middle school was anything but simple, and you were bullied and ostracized from the crowd, which could not have been easy. Looking back, I can’t even imagine. I always wished that there was something I could have done to reach out and rise above the judgment of others and follow my heart. I thought about it often, but I didn’t have the strength in myself to do that at the time. I am so grateful that we now have the friendship I always wished we could, because you are wonderful, and without a doubt, one of the most resilient people I know. I promise I am not going anywhere. 

After I moved in eighth grade, things shifted as we all grew up. We were not close throughout those teenage years, but I have always believed that the people who are meant to be in your life will find their way back, and that’s what all three of you did in my life. At the end of senior year, when I was uncomfortable going to my own school prom, you welcomed me to yours with open arms. Everytime I have gone home for school breaks, you would always be so excited to meet up and catch up. Our friendship had no baggage, just unconditional support and unforgettable memories. 

What is more important than the past, however, is where we all are now. As we all pursue our various career paths in university and trade school, I love knowing that every day there will be a message from you on my phone, checking in to see how I am doing. I love hearing about your various adventures too. College is such a transient time, and at the end of it all, sometimes all that is needed to feel better is a reminder of where (and what) “home” is. You guys are home. Thank you for keeping me grounded, especially when I feel so far away.

It is such a relief to have such kind, non-judgmental people in my life. You are as open with me as I am with you, and that makes every situation I face in life so much easier. All three of you inspire me with your work ethic, your love of life, your strength and resilience and, most importantly, your individuality. 

You deserve all the love in the world.

Love,

Haley (or as I was known in middle school, Halers)