Kim Kardashian’s Robbery: Another Example of Victim Blaming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Around 3:00 AM on Monday, Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in her Paris apartment. According to the Washington Post, the masked men stole about $10 million worth of jewelry after tying her up and gagging her. She was reportedly, “badly shaken, but physically unharmed.”

There’s nothing funny about this ordeal, but posts mocking the situation appeared all over social media. People said she deserved to be robbed for a number of reasons ranging from her wealth, fame, or simply because they don’t like her (which usually comes down to jealousy or misogyny). It doesn’t matter what you think about Kim Kardashian, you shouldn’t celebrate a woman going through a traumatizing experience.

Kim Kardashian is phenomenon the world hasn’t seen before because her empire stems from sharing every detail of her life. She has completely merged her personal and professional life so that her identity is her brand. This makes it easy to dehumanize her and forget that she’s a real person with thoughts and emotions, but just because someone is a celebrity doesn’t mean they signed up to be a target.

What’s sad about these comments is that they aren’t surprising at all. The all too familiar “she was asking for it” logic has been used time and time again in response to women’s traumatic experiences. Some posts explained if Kardashian didn’t want to get robbed, she shouldn’t have posted her expensive jewelry on Instagram. Others said she deserves it simply because she’s rich. People even went as far as claiming she made the whole thing up for more attention.

These statements are remarkably similar to those that blame the victims of rape or other violent crimes.  Women shouldn’t have to take preventative measures with how they dress, where they go or what they post online so they aren’t attacked. It’s never the victim’s fault.

Even if you don’t like Kim Kardashian or agree with her lifestyle, consider that she’s a human being. Yes, she’s wealthy and famous. Yes, she proudly flaunts her jewelry, clothes, money and body. But nothing justifies being bound and gagged while a gun is pointed at your head.