How to Upgrade Your Wardrobe from Freshman to Sophomore Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Cover Image Retrieved from: glamour.com

While the transition from high school to college may seem like the ultimate shift in a young adult’s life, the true magic kicks in between Freshman to Sophomore year. Sophomore year brings with it internships, “real” jobs, a complete shedding of any last shred of high school, and the loss of the ability to rely on the excuse of being a Freshman. To fashionably dive into this transition head first, it’s likely that your wardrobe could use a refresher.

Step One: Ditch Any and Everything that Doesn’t Fit

It may look cute on the hanger but if it doesn’t make that bod look amazing, then it has to go! Try on everything and be picky. Don’t settle for “OK”, toss it if it’s uncomfortable or unflattering.

Step Two: Find Your Own Style!

Out with the old and in with the new! A personal favorite, this step is full of opportunity and excitement. You may already have a style in mind and in that case it’s time to commit! Buy the pieces necessary to flesh out a one of a kind wardrobe.

Don’t know what you want your style to be? One brainstorming suggestion I have is to pick out your top three style icons and try to mash them into one. The more distinct each icon is the better!

Step Three: Shoes for Every Occasion

This doesn’t mean a new pair of shoes for every event, but rather it’s time to stop wearing sneakers or flats everywhere. While everyone has different places to go, it’s typically safe to have a pair of sneakers, office or class shoes, heels or fun party shoes, and sandals.

Step Four: Professional Wear

This one is pretty self explanatory. Go grab yourself a blazer, pants other than jeans and a button-up shirt. Take control of those interviews the second you step through the door!

Retrieved from: ayr.com

Step Five: Less is More

No more cluttering up your drawers and closets with endless mountains of cheap t-shirts and crop tops. Clean out the worn down, poor-quality hoards and instead try out fewer pieces of higher quality.

Step Six: Basics and Style Definers

An easy way to make a versatile and easy to use wardrobe is have a number of basics to match with style defining pieces. Pair a plain white tee with some statement pants and you’ve got a look to turn heads!

Retrieved from: madewell.com