This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

With December being the prime time for finals, papers, and all around stress, it’s so easy to forget that it’s supposed to be the most joyous time of the year, as the holidays are right around the corner. Even if you love the holidays, it seems as if you can’t enjoy them until after your tests. However, there are some things you can do to keep the spirit of Christmas alive even when you’re studying. 

1. Get yourself some festive treats.

You have to make sure you eat while studying, so why not make holiday goodies to munch on while you study? There are tons of sweets you can make/buy that get with the holiday season. Christmas cookies, peppermint bark and hot chocolate are all things that can make writing an essay or looking through your notes even the tiniest bit sweeter.

2. Listen to Christmas music while you study.

It’s common to listen to music when you study anyway, so why not listen to Christmas music? It can get you tapping your feet during a long study session, and it can relieve stress. Instrumental Christmas music is especially great because it’s festive but not so distracting that you will end up belting every word (especially to a certain Mariah Carey song). For me personally, the soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas is the best music to listen to. It’s low-key, calming, and most of all festive.

3. Take a break with a Christmas movie.

Sometimes people get so wrapped up in studying, they don’t let themselves take a breather from it every once in a while. So, after a certain amount of studying, make time for a break when you can sit down, relax, and watch a Christmas movie–like Elf or Home Alone. It’ll help take away anxiety and remind you that break is so close, and after your tests, you can finally enjoy the holidays.