How to Keep Life Fresh in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Do​ ​you​ ​ever​ ​feel​ ​like​ ​life​ ​is​ ​boring?​ ​There​ ​are​ ​moments​ ​and​ ​chapters​ ​in​ ​life​ ​when​ ​things​ ​are​ ​zestful​ ​and​ ​fresh. Some​ ​of​ ​those​ ​rip-roaring​ ​times​ ​have​ ​been​ ​being​ ​a​ ​fearless​ ​elementary​ ​school​ ​kid,​ ​taking​ ​in​ ​the​ ​last​ ​moments of​ ​high​ ​school​ ​with​ ​best​ ​friends​ ​and​ ​entering​ ​the​ ​exotic​ ​new​ ​world​ ​of​ ​college.​ ​As​ ​time​ ​passes,​ ​we​ ​get comfortable​ ​after​ ​major​ ​changes​ ​in​ ​our​ ​lifestyle,​ ​and​ ​although​ ​it’s​ ​normal​ ​to​ ​be​ ​comfortable,​ ​it’s​ ​easy​ ​to​ ​fall​ ​into the​ ​trap​ ​of​ ​routine.​ ​Now​ ​don’t​ ​get​ ​me​ ​wrong,​ ​having​ ​a​ ​routine​ ​is​ ​very​ ​convenient.​ ​It​ ​keeps​ ​us​ ​in​ ​check​ ​to​ ​getting what​ ​is​ ​necessary​ ​done,​ ​keeps​ ​us​ ​from​ ​the​ ​unexpected​ ​(usually) and​ ​lets​ ​us​ ​have​ ​a​ ​feeling​ ​of​ ​control.​ ​But when​ ​we​ ​are​ ​in​ ​that​ ​set​ ​routine​ ​all​ ​the​ ​time,​ ​life​ ​can​ ​get​ ​a​ ​little​ ​dull.

Changing​ ​things​ ​up​ ​even​ ​just​ ​a​ ​little​ ​is​ ​what​ ​makes​ ​life​ ​vibrant.​ ​Do​ ​not​ ​underestimate​ the ​little​ ​things​ ​that​ ​can​ ​make you​ ​happy.

Once​ ​a​ ​week​ ​(or​ ​more),​ ​take​ ​a​ ​different​ ​route​ ​to​ ​work/school. You​ ​won’t​ ​be​ ​just​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​get​ ​by;​ ​you’ll​ ​see​ ​different​ ​faces,​ ​feel​ ​the​ ​different​ ​vibes​ ​and​ ​be​ ​present​ ​as​ ​you navigate​ ​the​ ​unfamiliar​ ​area.

Spend​ ​time​ ​with​ ​someone​ ​who​ ​is​ ​unlike​ ​you/not​ ​in​ ​your​ ​social​ ​circle. Everyone​ ​is​ ​different,​ ​but​ ​if​ ​you’ve​ ​noticed,​ ​friends​ ​tend​ ​to​ ​be​ ​pretty​ ​similar,​ ​so​ ​try​ ​and​ ​spend​ ​time​ ​chatting​ ​with some​ ​new​ ​people.​ ​You’ll​ ​be​ ​surprised​ ​what​ ​you​ ​learn​ ​from​ ​someone​ ​who​ ​has​ ​a​ ​totally​ ​different​ ​perspective than​ ​you.

Journal. It’s​ ​actually​ ​very​ ​helpful​ ​to​ ​write​ ​down​ ​your​ ​thoughts,​ ​plans​ ​and​ ​goals.​ ​With​ ​the​ ​hustle​ ​and​ ​bustle​ ​of​ ​everyday life,​ ​it​ ​gives​ ​us​ ​a​ ​conscious​ ​way​ ​to​ ​physically​ ​get​ ​in​ ​our​ ​head​ ​and​ ​be​ ​present​ ​with​ ​who​ ​we​ ​are.​ ​Plus,​ ​10​ ​years from​ ​now,​ ​you​ ​can​ ​read​ ​it,​ ​see​ ​what​ ​you​ ​were​ ​feeling​ ​and​ ​observe​ ​how​ ​you’ve​ ​changed.​ ​Your​ ​character​ ​is always​ ​changing,​ ​so​ ​maybe​ ​even​ ​a​ ​week​ ​later​ ​you’ll​ ​feel​ ​different.

Try​ ​a​ ​different​ ​type​ ​of​ ​food​ ​you​ ​don’t​ ​usually​ ​eat. Switch​ ​it​ ​up​ ​sometimes!​ ​Maybe​ ​try​ ​the​ ​new​ ​Mediterranean​ ​restaurant​ ​down​ ​the​ ​street.​ ​Food​ ​=​ ​happiness,​ ​so it’s​ ​a​ ​win-win.

Plan​ ​a​ ​fun​ ​trip. Don’t​ ​just​ ​think,​ ​do!​ ​Work​ ​with​ ​what​ ​you​ ​have​ ​and​ ​figure​ ​out​ ​a​ ​plan​ ​to​ ​save.​ ​You’ll​ ​be​ ​so​ ​satisfied​ ​with​ ​a​ ​plan​ ​that​ ​when​ ​the​ ​time​ ​comes​ ​to​ ​go,​ ​you’ll​ ​feel​ ​confident​ that ​you​ ​have everything​ ​you​ ​need.

Do​ ​something​ ​new​ ​every​ ​weekend. Remember,​ ​variety​ ​brings​ ​the​ ​colors​ ​to​ ​life.​ ​New​ ​things​ ​you​ ​try​ ​can​ ​be​ ​an​ ​activity,​ ​restaurant or starting​ ​a conversation​ ​with​ ​a​ ​stranger;​ ​bonus​ ​points​ ​if​ ​this​ ​activity​ ​makes​ ​you​ ​get​ ​out​ ​of​ ​your​ ​comfort​ ​zone!

The​ ​little​ ​things​ ​you​ ​do​ ​to​ ​make​ ​your​ ​day​ ​a​ ​pleasure​ ​don’t​ ​have​ ​to​ ​be​ ​extravagant​ ​things​ ​like​ ​flying​ ​to​ ​a​ ​different country​ ​or​ ​going​ ​skydiving;​ ​they​ ​can​ ​be​ ​simple!​ ​Life​ ​is​ ​more​ ​than​ ​your​ ​routine​ ​so​ ​get​ ​out,​ ​and​ ​spice​ ​it​ ​up.