This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

If you’re like me and grew up in a cold climate during the holidays, it’s quite easy to forget the holidays are right around the corner while surrounded by SoCal’s palm trees and sunshine. While the weather outside might be nowhere near frightful, that shouldn’t stop you from feeling the holiday cheer!

Decorations

Decorate your house or dorm room with Christmas lights. It’s an easy and inexpensive way to decorate a room and create a fun holiday vibe.

Set the mood

Set Spotify’s holiday playlists on shuffle mode, and enjoy sweet cheerful sounds as you make dinner, do homework or study.

Smell the scents

Everyone has a favorite scent that reminds them of being home for the holidays. Whether it be crisp pine leaves, sugar cookies or peppermint, stock up on candles or air refresheners to fill the air. It creates the perfect environment to study or relax during this hectic time of year.

Enjoy a crackling (Netflix) fire

As a student, it’s not very likely you’ll have a working fireplace in your dorm, house, or apartment, especially in Southern California. However, Netflix (or YouTube) provides an amazing alternative! Enjoy three hour episodes of a warm, crackling fire right on your TV or computer. While it may not provide heat like a real fire, it turns a dull room into a cozy holiday wonderland.

Hot cider or hot chocolate

You could make them yourself, or go out and buy them, but grabbing some tasty beverages will add a touch of warmth and holiday spirit to your day.