How To Deal With Rejection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We’ve all been there before.

To say the least, rejection sucks. Whether it’s not making a team, not getting the job you want, or getting turned down by someone you like, rejection is hard to deal with. However, coping with it can be easier than you might think. Here are a few tips on how to deal with rejection and prepare for the possibility of it.

That first moment of rejection can feel like a sting, lingering long after it happens.

You spend time overthinking everything, wondering why and how this happened. The problem with overthinking, though, is that it creates issues that don’t really exist. Spending too much time questioning the situation or yourself can actually make the reality of it harder to grasp. Instead of analyzing why and how, focus on what’s next. Take initiative towards building a positive attitude for the future and what you can do to stay confident.

Instead of putting the blame on yourself, think about other factors that could have also been involved.

There is a good chance that the outcome had less to do with you, and there were outside influences that were simply out of your control. There is more involved in certain decisions than just the facts concerning who you are as a person and what you have to offer.

Putting off your initial reaction can actually make it more difficult in the long run.

When it comes to emotions, don’t be afraid to express how you feel. Lay everything out on the table, so that later on you aren’t overwhelmed with repressed feelings. Expression is crucial when it comes to responding to rejection in a healthy way.

It can help immensely to put your feelings into words.

Write in a journal or a private blog to help organize your thoughts. Pouring it all out on paper or a word document can really be beneficial in the process of letting go. Any form of release is necessary to moving on.

Remember that just because one person turned you down, doesn’t mean that you aren’t valuable.

You are beautiful and original in a way that is unlike anyone else. There are people out there who know just how great you truly are. They will see the parts of you that others couldn’t appreciate and will understand just how amazing your potential is. Most importantly, you have to realize your worth, because if you don’t, no one else will. I promise you’ll make it through this. Keep your head up, girl.

Danielle is a spoken word artist from Chicago and a nationally ranked slam poet who previously competed with the Los Angeles youth team. She has a strong fascination with sunflowers, a love for crows, and an addiction to tattoos.