This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Make your bed in the morning.

Seriously. There is no better feeling than coming home after a long day and flopping down onto a nicely made bed. Even if you plan on staying home all day – get up, make your bed, and then sit on top of it – it won’t even be noon yet and you’ll already have done something productive

2. Plan your next meal.

Even if this means making the mental note “At 6 PM, I’m going to go to the caf,” getting yourself into the habit of not taking your meals for granted will prepare you for the eventual day when you do need to cook for yourself.

3. Open up a retirement plan.

Okay, I know it sounds ridiculous, but opening up a Roth IRA and saving now versus when you’re 30 can make a huge difference. No idea what I’m talking about? Ask your parents for help and they’ll be floored by your maturity and forethought.

4. Sign up for a resume workshop, and then actually attend it.

I spent years thinking my resume was incredible until I asked a mentor to take a look and give me feedback. Whenever you have the opportunity to attend a workshop or a mock interview, take advantage of it while there are still people around you who want to help.

5. Wake up at the same time every day – even on weekends!

Sure it’s fun to sleep in and stay up late, but when your body clock is regulated you feel more energized and better about the fact that you’re not getting up at 2pm on a Wednesday.

6. Get a plant.

Preferably a succulent or some other low maintenance vegetal thing and keep it as a reminder to yourself that not only can you look after you, but also another living thing.

7. Be up to date on fancy things.

Want to impress your friends/parents but letting them know you finished all six seasons of Gossip Girl in one sitting not quite the conversation topic you felt like sharing? Go on Wikipedia and read the plot for this week’s New York Times best seller or a boring (but extremely fascinating) documentary. How fancy of you!