Home is Where the Suitcase Is: Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Continuing on our journey around the globe, we’re now going to take a trip across the diverse continent of Europe.

A quick stop in Amsterdam

We went to Amsterdam when I was 5 years old on our way to Tanzania. We were only there for a short week, but we managed to hit the most important destination in my mind: the Anne Frank Museum. I didn’t understand why everyone was so sad and somber; I think I got a very brief, kid-friendly explanation of the events of the Holocaust and who Anne Frank was. Really, I was mostly just fascinated by the preserved house and all of the pictures on the wall. Even so, being there made me sad. A few years later, I read Anne Frank and understood how important that visit was and what it meant to so many people. Of course, there are other places of interest in Amsterdam, such as the vividly colorful houses that line the streets, but the Anne Frank House is transcendent and timeless, an important visit if you ever find yourself in the vicinity.

Whirlwind in Paris

We were in Paris for a whole two days, a layover on the way to South Africa. Never before had my feet been so sore, my legs so tired from walking around trying to see everything in two quick days. We made a stop at the Eiffel Tower, climbing up all 704 steps. The view was fantastic, but it was rather crowded. However, it’s definitely worth a pit stop to at least see the intricate architecture. The crowds and the smoking is really what bothered me about the Eiffel Tower and Paris in general. Personally, I’m not a fan of cigarette smoke, and it felt like I was perpetually covering my nose to avoid inhaling the fumes. I was also grumpy, because I was forced to eat only bread and water albeit one meal of an omelette. I don’t eat stinky cheese or wine, so I had very tasteless meals in a city known for its food.

My favorite place in France by far was Versailles. It was incredibly intricate, with sprawling grounds and gorgeous ceilings. Ever since Versailles, I have been obsessed with mazes due to their challenging topiary maze that I got lost in. There were fountains galore, naked statues–scandalous to my childish eyes–and gorgeous old works of art. Honestly, Versailles is house goals, and I would live in just the maze for the rest of my life.

We also took a quick trip to the Louvre, mostly to see the Mona Lisa. Frankly, it was a letdown. The painting is rather small, and I could barely see it due to the crowds swarmed around it looking for a glimpse. I think I got an actual glimpse of it for all of two seconds. The other works of art in the Louvre are worth a visit, however. I spent a lot of time in the Ancient Egypt exhibit; it was pretty fascinating. Much like our time in France itself, it was too short. I would love to go back and spend a month getting to know France more intimately rather than the whirlwind two days we spent there.

When in Rome

We went to Italy for one month my freshman year of high school. My mom had a weeklong conference in Rome, which was our excuse for taking the trip. First, we went to Venice for two days. I actually didn’t get to see much of the city because I was sick, but what I did see was amazing. There were winding streets with a new alleyway every three feet. It is the most incriticate city I’ve ever seen. All of the waterways with the gondolas were splendid; it was like walking out of reality and into a book–or perhaps into the past, everything had such age to it. All of the buildings looked immensely preserved and grand; it was truly a treat to be able to see everything. Luckily for me, all of Italy was grandiose and ancient.

Tuscany is a strangely beautiful region of Italy known for its wine. Of course, that was the reason we were there. Despite my aversion to wine, I never got bored because of all the beautiful buildings. They all had stories to tell. You could walk 100 feet in one direction and come upon a whole new time. In one of the villages we visited, there were crypts that I got to go into and learn about the region. It was truly fantastic. Also, let it be said that Italy has some of the finest food. Not to mention its desserts; while my parents were trying wine, I got to sample all of the finest gelato places, and I truly had a great time. Tuscany is so unique, just like every other region in Italy, and has its own indescribable uniqueness to it.

Rome was next on the list, and my mom ditched going to the conference in order to explore the city. Now, I’m not a city person, but I absolutely loved Rome and would not hesitate going back. There was the Pantheon, a place that my dad visited each morning. The Pantheon had crypts containing famous people–a bit morbid, sure, but still fascinating. And of course, there was the Colosseum. I was interested in the culture behind the Colosseum already, so it was amazing to visit a place of such infamy. It was amazing that it was still standing; there were parts that were caved in.

The amazing thing about Rome is that you could be walking down a urban street and see a newly excavated ruin that had just recently been discovered. I saw more old buildings than I could count. Rome also has a great many fountains, including the Trevi Fountain. People go to throw coins in the Trevi Fountain because it supposedly has powers depending on how you throw the coin. I threw the coin over my right shoulder, which supposedly means that I will return to Rome. I truly hope the rumors are true, and I will get to revisit a place of such culture.

I associate three things with the Amalfi Coast: beauty, cats and walking. To get from the top of the coast and the bottom, there were hundreds of narrow steps. Of course, it was beautiful, but it was also rather exhausting, so come prepared for a workout. The steps and streets are also full of cats, which I pet every opportunity. The town itself is gorgeous, with cute little houses and shops everywhere and amazing food. It was lovely to spend a few days and go on hikes, and I would love to return for an extended stay. Everyone was so kind and accommodating. The Amalfi Coast and Italy in general should be at the top of everyone’s bucket list.

The magical country of England

My senior year of high school, I took a much needed break from school and went to England and Ireland. Our first stop, England, was a wonderful place full of tourist destinations. London itself honestly wasn’t that amazing, or perhaps that’s just because I’m not a fan of cities. It was amazing to see Big Ben in person, but we just took a picture and went on our way. I did enjoy Westminster Abbey and seeing all of the elaborate tombs of past royals. The Abbey was free to enter and a beautiful sight once inside, filled with gorgeous pieces of art and lots of gold. I would also highly recommend going to the London Bridge Experience. It is a walk through show of sorts that retells the history of the London Bridge with a scary twist. There are hired horror actors meant to frighten you, but it was also educational, and I can safely say we learned a lot.

We also visited Stonehenge, a mysterious and fascinating tourist destination. We had to get up at 4 a.m. in order to be able to actually go see Stonehenge up close rather than from a distance, but it was worth the lost sleep. It was amazing to see all the details on the stones that so few people ever get to see in person. Our guide brought a dowsing rod, because Stonehenge is apparently on a ley line, which some people believe is supernatural. Indeed, I got chills up my spine watching the dowsing rod continually move to the same place with no touch. After the magic of Stonehenge, we went to Bath, a quaint little town known for the Roman baths. The culture behind it was interesting, and my parents certainly took their time, but I was taken by the water. The water had a green hue due to certain chemicals, and I spent most of my time there down by the captivating (and toxic) water.

However, despite my infatuation with the water, my favorite part of going to England was the Harry Potter Studio Tour. My parents and I all love Harry Potter, so I had a lovely time spending the entire day seeing all of the sets, costumes, props, and more that were used during the filming of Harry Potter. I actually started crying when I walked in one of the rooms to see a scale model of Hogwarts. It was truly magical and one of the best experiences of my life.

Towers and taverns of Ireland

Ireland is known for the Cliffs of Moher, shamrocks and Niall Horan. Perhaps most famous of all is its beer. Our first night in Dublin, we went to the famous Temple Bar, where, in the name of Irish tradition, I got drunk. I was singing “Sweet Home Alabama” and trying to recite the alphabet backwards to my parents in an effort to prove that I was not drunk. Sorry, Mom.

The next day, we went to the Guinness Factory. The Guinness Factory is fascinating, and I consider myself to be an expert on how beer should properly be made. There were even fun games such as competing to see who can get the foam off the top of the beer best! At the end of the tour, you are brought up to the seventh floor of the factory and given a pint of true Guinness beer, of which I had one sip. I decided to opt for Sprite instead. However, my dad finished his and mine and my mom’s. Overall, I would recommend the Guinness Factory; it had fun games for the whole family and was a fascinating experience.

After we left Dublin, we hit the road and stayed the night in a real life castle. I felt like royalty. I explored the grounds and came across a large but friendly greyhound. They also kept miniature horses and donkeys on the property. The ambience was magical, and the staff does a good job in making sure you feel like you’re staying a castle, from the accommodations to the dining experience. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and well worth the money – although to be fair, I’m not the one who paid.

One of the greatest things about Ireland is that you could be driving along a road and spot an abandoned old building. We came across multiple places that looked like old watch towers or fancy manors. However, if you come across one, I would advise caution – they are usually unkempt and therefore dangerous, and one wrong move could bring the whole structure falling down.

My favorite place in Ireland was Blarney, home to the Blarney stone. For around 30 pounds, you gain access to the castle where the Blarney stone is, as well as sprawling grounds. It had a very magical feel to it. There were the poison gardens which contained numerous poisonous plants and explanations about what they did. There was a forest on one side of the grounds which I explored without the parents, who decided to go into town. I was all by myself in the forest, which was mildly frightening, but honestly only added to the feeling that I was in an enchanted woods. I found a witching rock and a place where if you went up and down the stairs with your eyes closed and thought only about one wish, that wish would come true. I mean, I slipped down the wet stairs, but it was still a fun experience! Ireland overall was a place of such wild beauty, and I absolutely fell in love with my homeland and would probably live there if given the chance.

I love all things traveling, books, movies and adventuring!