Fun and Pandemic Safe Places to Visit in Orange County This Fall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

If you were asked back in March if COVID-19 would still be around by the end of the year, what would you have said? ? I know this isn’t how we expected to end 2020 but one thing is for sure – we’re trying to make the most of it. That’s why I want to share with you the top 6 places I’ve found in or near Orange County for you to visit to enjoy that California Fall spirit.

1. Tunnel of Terror – Huntington Beach Haunted Car Wash

We’ve all heard of haunted houses, but have you ever been through a haunted car wash? Don’t let the name fool you – this experience will be sure to give you a fright. Enjoy this fun and thrilling experience from your own car while ghouls and ghosts pop up throughout the wash. This is a great activity to do with your small circle of friends or family!

Dates: Open from 5pm-10pm

• October 15th – 17th

• October 22nd – 24th

• October 29th – 31st

Location: Huntington Beach Xpress

16061 Beach Boulevard 

Huntington Beach, CA 92647

Price of Admission: $20/car

2. The Tanaka Pumpkin Farm 2020

Pumpkin patch lovers rejoice! Thanks to Tanaka Farms, you can give a pumpkin their fall season home. Tanaka Farms offers both a drive-through pumpkin farm, where you take a leisurely drive in your car around the farm before picking out your pumpkin, and a U-Pick Pumpkin Wagon ride, where you take a tour around the farm in a socially distanced wagon before also picking out your pumpkin. And a sneak peek for the holidays – they already have planned multiple events for the 2020 Holiday season such as Hikari: A Festival of Lights and their Christmas tree farm and decorations!

Dates:

• Drive-Thru Pumpkin Farm Experience: Saturday through Sunday, Sept 19 – Oct 31

• U-Pick Pumpkin with Wagon Ride: Monday through Friday, Sept 21 – Oct 30

Location: TANAKA FARMS, 

5380 3/4 UNIVERSITY DR., 

IRVINE, CA 92612, USA

Price of Admission: 

• Drive-Thru Pumpkin Farm Experience: 

• All persons ages 3 and over ($20 per person)

• 2 Years and Under (FREE, but do not receive items included)

• Active and Retired Military (FREE, ID required at check-in)

• U-Pick Pumpkin with Wagon Ride:

• All persons ages 3 and over ($25 per person)

3. Newport Beach and Bike Rentals

More of an active and outdoors type person? Check out renting a bike and taking a ride along Newport Beach! Being in California fall weather, outdoor activities like bike riding are totally acceptable. Rent a bike for as little as two hours or as much as a full day! This is also a great activity if you are actively practicing social-distancing with friends. Check out their rates and types of bikes available for rent!

Opening Hours: 9 am -Sunset

Location: 

2001 WEST BALBOA BLVD.

NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92675

4. Malibu Creek State Park

Another great day activity for you adventure seekers is to take a drive and a hike through Malibu Creek State Park! Only an hour drive from our city of Orange, you can experience the fall colors and imagine you are in a state that actually gets seasons. There are three popular trails you could choose to hike on, ranging from easy to moderate.

Location: 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, CA 91302

Parking Fees:

• All-day – $12.00 per car, per day

• 3 hrs – $9.00 per car

• 2 hrs – $6.00 per car

• 1 hr – $3.00 per car

5. Los Rios Rancho Apple Farm

Are pumpkins not your thing? That’s okay because if your mindset is already ready for November, you can get into the autumn spirit with apple picking at Los Rios Rancho Apple Farm! A little over an hour from Chapman University, experience great fall activities such as a corn maze, a petting zoo, cider pressing, and of course apple (and raspberries, strawberries, and pumpkins) picking! They do have special fall activities on the weekends, so check out their website to see what interests you!

Dates:

• Now – Thanksgiving

• Open 7 days a week with special Fall activity offerings on the weekends

Reservations/Pricing: All offerings are walk-in basis. No reservations necessary!

Location: 39611 Oak Glen Road, Oak Glen, CA, 92399

So what interested you the most? Even though this autumn season is coming in while we’re under unusual circumstances, these places are still there to bring you  that fall spirit! However, if you’d rather stay at home and bask in the autumn season with your household members, check out my page on great halloween/fall movies to watch this season!

Kali Weisman

Chapman '22

Hello! I’m a junior communication studies student with a minor in creative and cultural industries at Chapman University
julianna (she/her) is an associate editor at her campus where she oversees the wellness vertical and all things sex and relationships, wellness, mental health, astrology, and gen-z. during her undergraduate career at chapman university, julianna's work appeared in as if magazine and taylor magazine. additionally, her work as a screenwriter has been recognized and awarded at film festivals worldwide. when she's not writing burning hot takes and spilling way too much about her personal life online, you can find julianna anywhere books, beers, and bands are.