neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

For the most part, first dates are known to be exciting and fun. Deep down, however, they can definitely be some of the most nerve-wracking situations of social encounters. Most importantly, it isn’t not the first date that’s difficult to get – it’s the second. Often, we fear awkward moments of silence or saying and doing the wrong things. Thus, to avoid flawed moves on your part, there are a few rules to know before going into a first date. By following these tips, you’ll feel much more confident and prepared for the unknown.

1. Meeting up- in the scenario of the perfect date, the guy should pick you up from your home and drive. If this is not possible, however, meet at the destination of the date and don’t be late. Additionally, it’s a good idea to send a confirmation text the day before the date to avoid any confusion.

2. Picking the destination- If you’re given the task to pick the place or the activity, choose something that isn’t too extravagant or expensive. When it comes to restaurants, find out the types of food that your date likes so there aren’t any issues

3. Conversation- It’s important to get to know your date. Ask questions and listen. Even though you should share things about your self, it isn’t ideal to be self-centered the entire time. If there’s an awkward silence, ask him a question to keep the conversation going. Another good idea would be to talk about current events and pop culture if the discussion is dying. A few topics to avoid include religion, previous relationships, and politics.

4. Ordering- Think about what you order. Even though you’re on a date, that doesn’t necessarily mean you should pick the most expensive thing on the menu. If you’re unsure, pick something at the midrange price point. If you’re still feeling a little hesitant, ask your date what he’s ordering and pick something equivalent. Also, try to take it easy on choosing something with garlic or onions because bad breath isn’t very cute.

5. The Bill- A gentleman should definitely pay the bill. Even though this sounds a bit old-fashioned, it’s a part of proper manners. A good way to navigate the bill is to offer to pay or reach for your wallet once the bill comes to the table. Most likely your date will tell you that they’ll take care of it. If they don’t, then its not the end of the world. If anything, just split the bill.

6. Goodbyes- At this point of the date, you should have a good idea of how things went. Sometimes, dates go really well and the chemistry is obvious, while others do not.  The “goodbye” is the most tricky part of it all. If all went well, give him a hug, thank him for dinner, and say something that suggest that you would like to do it again soon.  Kissing is a bit too much and would be recommended to save for the 2nd or 3rd date.